Apple says data center will be all green

May 21, 2012 By Bruce Henderson

Apple says its $1 billion data center in Maiden, N.C., will include a second large solar farm to help power the site entirely by renewable energy by the end of this year.

The 500,000-square-foot center will draw about 20 of power at full capacity, the company says, and produce 60 percent of it on-site. Apple says it will buy the other 40 percent directly from local and regional renewable-energy sources.

has pressured Apple for months over use of coal by Duke Energy, which serves the area, and more recently the use of diesel-powered .

The North Carolina Utilities Commission granted a permit for a 20-megawatt solar farm in Maiden. Apple now says it will build a second farm a few miles away.

Apple is also seeking state approval of a 4.8-megawatt installation in Maiden that it says will be the nation's largest non-utility project. The commission has yet to rule on that project.

Together, Apple says, the projects will produce 124 million kilowatt-hours of energy, enough to supply 10,874 homes. The actual output will be registered with North Carolina's Renewable Energy Tracking System set up by the utilities commission.

Apple says it runs its facilities in Austin, Sacramento, Cork, Ireland and Munich wholly on renewable energy. Its Cupertino, Calif., headquarters now gets more than half its energy from including fuel cells.

Explore further: Pollution top concern for U.S. and Canadian citizens around Great Lakes

More information: © 2012, McClatchy-Tribune Information Services.
Distributed by MCT Information Services

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Apple plans massive solar farm in North Carolina

Nov 01, 2011

Permits dug up by the Charlotte Observer have revealed Apple Inc.'s plan to build a gigantic solar farm to help power its recently built $1 billion data center in North Carolina. Apple has not formally announced the project ...

Taiwan unveils Asia's biggest solar plant: govt

Dec 23, 2009

Taiwan has unveiled what it calls Asia's biggest solar power plant as the island, which imports almost all its energy, seeks to tap into clean renewable resources, the government said Wednesday.

Facebook, Greenpeace in truce over data centers

Dec 15, 2011

(AP) -- Facebook and Greenpeace have called a truce over a clean energy feud that had the environmental group using the social network's own platform to campaign against it.

Recommended for you

Obama launches measures to support solar energy in US

Apr 17, 2014

The White House Thursday announced a series of measures aimed at increasing solar energy production in the United States, particularly by encouraging the installation of solar panels in public spaces.

Tailored approach key to cookstove uptake

Apr 17, 2014

Worldwide, programs aiming to give safe, efficient cooking stoves to people in developing countries haven't had complete success—and local research has looked into why.

User comments : 0

More news stories

Airbnb rental site raises $450 mn

Online lodging listings website Airbnb inked a $450 million funding deal with investors led by TPG, a source close to the matter said Friday.

Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review

People with accounts on the enrollment website for President Barack Obama's signature health care law are being told to change their passwords following an administration-wide review of the government's vulnerability to the ...

Impact glass stores biodata for millions of years

(Phys.org) —Bits of plant life encapsulated in molten glass by asteroid and comet impacts millions of years ago give geologists information about climate and life forms on the ancient Earth. Scientists ...