Amazon-owned Whole Foods ends partnership with Instacart

December 16, 2018 by Ben Tobin, Usa Today

Whole Foods will no longer be working with Instacart, the grocery delivery company announced.

The move comes a little over a year after Amazon acquired Whole Foods for $13.7 billion. Amazon has its own delivery service called AmazonFresh.

Whole Foods and Instacart began working together in 2014. Two years later, they signed a for Instacart to become the chain's exclusive delivery carrier.

Instacart currently employs 1,415 couriers, which it calls "in-store shoppers," across 76 Whole Foods locations.

About 75 percent of the will be transferred to other locations, Instacart Founder and CEO Apoorva Mehta said in a statement. However, the remaining 25 percent—about 350—will be laid off and will receive three-month separation packages as well as tenure-based compensation.

Instacart will begin winding down its operations at Whole Foods on Feb. 10 and exit the marketplace in the succeeding months, the company said.

"For our in-store Whole Foods shoppers who are personally impacted by this , we're deeply committed to being transparent about what this means for you and plan to share any updates with you as they become available," Mehta said.

Explore further: Delivery startup Instacart valued at $7.6 bn in funding round

Related Stories

Apoorva Mehta had 20 failed startups before Instacart

February 9, 2017

The gig: Apoorva Mehta, 30, is the founder and chief executive of San Francisco grocery delivery startup Instacart. Over the last four years, he has grown the company to more than 300 full-time employees and tens of thousands ...

Recommended for you

Technology near for real-time TV political fact checks

January 18, 2019

A Duke University team expects to have a product available for election year that will allow television networks to offer real-time fact checks onscreen when a politician makes a questionable claim during a speech or debate.

Privacy becomes a selling point at tech show

January 7, 2019

Apple is not among the exhibitors at the 2019 Consumer Electronics Show, but that didn't prevent the iPhone maker from sending a message to attendees on a large billboard.

China's Huawei unveils chip for global big data market

January 7, 2019

Huawei Technologies Ltd. showed off a new processor chip for data centers and cloud computing Monday, expanding into new and growing markets despite Western warnings the company might be a security risk.

0 comments

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.