US nuke waste repository in New Mexico will get more space

October 17, 2017 by Susan Montoya Bryan
US nuke waste repository in New Mexico will get more space
This undated photo provided by the U.S. Department of Energy show a continuous miner performing mining activities in the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant near Carlsbad, N.M. The U.S. Energy Department announced Tuesday, Oct. 17, 2017, that the work to carve out more disposal space from the ancient salt formation where the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant is located will begin later this fall. The work should be done in 2020. (David X. Tejada/U.S. Department of Energy via AP)

Workers are expected to begin mining operations at the U.S. nuclear waste dump in New Mexico for the first time in three years following a radiation release that contaminated part of the underground repository, the Energy Department said Tuesday.

The work to carve out more disposal space from the ancient salt formation where the is located will begin later this fall and should be completed by 2020, the department said in a statement.

Workers will remove more than 112,000 tons (101,605 metric tons) of salt, making way for seven disposal rooms. Each will have space for more than 10,000 drums containing up to 55 gallons (208 liters) of waste.

The repository, named the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant, began accepting shipments of radioactive waste from defense sites and national laboratories earlier this year after being closed for nearly three years.

It's working to catch up with the nation's multibillion-dollar program for cleaning up tons of waste left behind by decades of bomb-making and nuclear research. The waste includes radioactive tools, gloves, clothing and other debris.

The pace of shipments is increasing slowly, but federal auditors recently raised concerns that the repository could run out of space. The U.S. Government Accountability Office also found that the Energy Department has no plans for securing regulatory approvals and expanding the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant before it reaches capacity in less than a decade.

Mining for the new disposal area first began in 2013 but was halted after the radiation release in February 2014.

US nuke waste repository in New Mexico will get more space
This photo provided by the U.S. Department of Energy show a continuous miner performing mining activities in the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant near Carlsbad, N.M. The U.S. Energy Department announced Tuesday, Oct. 17, 2017, that the work to carve out more disposal space from the ancient salt formation where the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant is located will begin later this fall. The work should be done in 2020. (U.S. Department of Energy via AP)

A chemical reaction inside a barrel of that was inappropriately packed at Los Alamos National Laboratory before being shipped to the southern New Mexico repository was blamed for the radiation release.

Twenty-two workers at the repository were exposed, and monitors at the surface recorded low levels of radiological contamination. Officials maintained that nearby communities were not at risk.

The incident resulted in a $74 million settlement with the state of New Mexico for numerous permit violations at both the lab and the repository. Investigators said the misstep could have been avoided if existing policies and procedures had been followed.

The settlement, signed in early 2016, was at the time the largest ever negotiated between a state and the Energy Department.

Since then, some areas of the repository have remained off-limits, making it impossible for crews to do maintenance to prevent its ever-shifting salt ceilings and walls from collapsing.

In one area, monitors last month picked up on increased movement, indicating some instability. A rock fall last November forced a brief evacuation of workers but there were no injuries or contamination.

As the mining work resumes, officials said crews will install rock bolts to provide stability inside the new disposal vault.

A machine called a continuous miner removes the salt. It's loaded into a large truck and then a hoist that carries the material nearly a half-mile (0.8 kilometers) to the surface.

Explore further: US allowing work to restart at nuke dump three years after leak

Related Stories

Energy boss: Nuke site reopens but work remains

January 9, 2017

The reopening of the nation's only underground nuclear waste repository nearly three years after a radiation leak marks a key step toward cleaning up a decadeslong legacy of bomb-making and research, but the U.S. energy secretary ...

Watchdog agency: US nuclear dump running out of room

September 7, 2017

A government watchdog agency says the only underground nuclear waste repository in the United States doesn't have enough space for radioactive debris left over from decades of bomb-making and research, much less tons of surplus ...

New Mexico finds no 'red flags' in nuclear dump inspection

December 14, 2016

New Mexico inspectors did not uncover any red flags in their recent review of the federal government's underground nuclear waste repository as the facility prepares to reopen after a radiation leak, regulators said Wednesday.

Feds: No 'show-stoppers' found in nuke readiness review

December 16, 2016

U.S. Energy Department officials said Thursday no "show-stoppers" were found during an intensive review of whether the federal government's nuclear waste repository in southern New Mexico is ready to reopen following a radiation ...

Recommended for you

Team breaks world record for fast, accurate AI training

November 7, 2018

Researchers at Hong Kong Baptist University (HKBU) have partnered with a team from Tencent Machine Learning to create a new technique for training artificial intelligence (AI) machines faster than ever before while maintaining ...

0 comments

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.