Reactor at Bulgarian nuclear plant shut down

July 8, 2012
A 1,000-megawatt reactor at Bulgaria's Kozloduy nuclear plant was temporarily shut down early Saturday due to a turbogenerator problem, but no rise in radioactivity was recorded, a statement said.

A 1,000-megawatt reactor at Bulgaria's Kozloduy nuclear plant was temporarily shut down early Saturday due to a turbogenerator problem, but no rise in radioactivity was recorded, a statement said.

"Unit 6 of the Kozloduy plant was shut down by the turbogenerator's protection system," the plant said, adding: "No change in the level of radioactivity has been registered."

The unit was to be restarted by the end of the day.

Kozloduy, Bulgaria's sole , has two 1,000-megawatt reactors supplying about 30 percent of the country's power.

Four older 440-megawatt reactors at the plant were shut down in 2002 and 2006 as conditions for Bulgaria's entry into the European Union.

Explore further: Cracks found in protective casings at Bulgaria nuclear plant

Related Stories

Small fire stops Swedish nuclear reactor

October 23, 2011

A small fire in a turbine hall shut down a Swedish nuclear reactor overnight but the blaze was swiftly extinguished, nuclear power plant officials said Sunday.

AES wind farm kicks off in Bulgaria

October 6, 2009

AES Geo Energy, a Bulgarian unit of US energy giant AES Corporation, launched on Tuesday the largest 156-megawatt wind farm in Bulgaria, the company said.

Officials seek cause of reactor shutdown

November 3, 2006

Authorities are investigating the cause of the nuclear reactor shutdown at Three Mile Island near Harrisburg, Pa., although no radiation leaked in the incident.

Record radiation levels detected at Fukushima reactor

June 27, 2012

TEPCO, the operator of Japan's crippled Fukushima nuclear plant, said Wednesday record amounts of radiation had been detected in the basement of reactor number 1, further hampering clean-up operations.

Recommended for you

Google braces for huge EU fine over Android

July 18, 2018

Google prepared Wednesday to be hit with huge EU fine for freezing out rivals of its Android mobile phone system in a ruling that could spark new tensions between Brussels and Washington.

EU set to fine Google billions over Android: sources

July 17, 2018

The EU is set to fine US internet giant Google several billion euros this week for freezing out rivals of its Android mobile phone system, sources said, in a ruling that risks fresh tensions with Washington.

0 comments

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.