Mobile driving up US online retail sales, study finds

May 12, 2014
Avi Flashenburg shops for a phone at a Sprint Nextel cell phone store on October 16, 2012 in Miami, Florida

US online retail sales are expected to grow to $294 billion this year, with nearly one-third of the total from mobile devices, a research firm said Monday.

Forrester Research said it sees growing at a pace of 9.5 percent from 2013 to 2018, which would bring total online sales to $414 billion, or 11 percent of all .

This year, mobile commerce—sales on phones or tablets—are likely to hit 87 billion, according to Forrester.

"The Web keeps doing what it has always done well: it provides huge assortments of products, at comparable, often lower, prices than physical stores, with 24/7 access and often free shipping," said research analyst Sucharita Mulpuru.

Mulpuru said the figures include 30 retail categories, "and that doesn't even include another $28 billion in additional mobile transactions on sites and apps like Uber and Domino's Pizza that aren't even in that aforementioned mobile commerce number."

Mulpuru, in a blog post, said the growth in e-commerce does not mean that traditional brick-and-mortar retailing is dead.

"Yes, old store concepts located in B and C centers are absolutely in peril, but new fresh concepts in A properties are doing quite well," she said.

"While there are dying shopping centers that need to be razed and reconstructed as office parks or farmland or whatever, there are malls, even indoor malls, which are doing absolutely fine."

Explore further: PCs to lose more ground to tablets, survey finds

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

5 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

10 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

11 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.