Taiwan smartphone maker HTC cuts sales forecast

Jun 07, 2012

(AP) — Taiwan smartphone maker HTC Corp. has cut its second quarter revenue forecast by 13 percent after a patent dispute with Apple Inc. led to a delay in shipments.

HTC cut its April-June to NT$91 billion ($3 billion) revenue. It said late Wednesday shipments to Europe also fell short because of the deepening debt crisis there.

The company's first quarter revenue dropped 35 percent from the previous year amid ever growing competition from Apple Inc. and South Korea's Samsung Electronics Co.

HTC had hoped the April launch of its "HTC One" phone could help boost . The model offers users a better camera and music experience.

But phone were held up by U.S. customs for two weeks last month before HTC was cleared of patent infringements.

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

not rated yet
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Taiwan's HTC expects 30 percent sales plunge in 1Q

Feb 06, 2012

Taiwan's leading smartphone maker HTC forecast Monday that its revenue in the three months to March may plunge 30 percent from a year ago, as competitors Apple and Samsung take their grip on the market.

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

17 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

21 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

23 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.