DOJ to take closer look at Google's Motorola deal

Sep 28, 2011

(AP) -- The U.S. Justice Department is taking a closer look at Google's proposed $12.5 billion acquisition of mobile phone maker Motorola Mobility.

The extended review disclosed Wednesday had been widely expected since Google Inc. announced the Motorola deal last month.

Most of Google's big moves have been closely scrutinized by federal regulators because of the power it has gained as the Internet's search and advertising leader.

Google also makes Android, a leading software system for mobile phones. The advantages that Google has gained from Android may be one of the focal points of the Justice Department's inquiry.

Despite the increased , has won approval for all its acquisitions so far. Antitrust experts expect regulators to sign off on the Motorola deal too.

Explore further: Goodgame Studios reveals revenue, coy on IPO plans

not rated yet
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

S&P says sell Google's shares after Motorola deal

Aug 16, 2011

(AP) -- Standard & Poor's is saying investors should sell Google's stock because it believes the search leader's decision to buy Motorola Mobility increases the risk to the company and its shares.

Feds likely to let Google buy Motorola Mobility

Aug 16, 2011

(AP) -- Federal regulators are unlikely to block Google Inc. from buying cellphone maker Motorola Mobility since the acquisition could help drive competition in the fast growing mobile device market.

FTC looking into Google's AdMob acquisition

Dec 23, 2009

Web search and advertising giant Google said Wednesday that the US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is seeking more information about its proposed purchase of mobile advertising company AdMob.

Motorola Mobility buys mobile software firm 3LM

Feb 14, 2011

Motorola Mobility has made its first acquisition since being spun off as a separate company, buying mobile software maker Three Laws Mobility in a bid to expand corporate use of Android phones.

Recommended for you

Daily that challenged LA Times shuts down

4 hours ago

The Los Angeles Register, a newspaper launched earlier this year to challenge the region's dominant Los Angeles Times, announced Tuesday it was shutting down.

User comments : 0