Judge approves $100M Dell accord (Update)

Oct 13, 2010 By MARCY GORDON , AP Business Writer
Dell CEO Michael Dell, right, leaves federal court in Washington, Wednesday, Oct. 13, 2010. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

(AP) -- A federal judge on Wednesday approved Dell Inc.'s $100 million settlement with the government of civil fraud charges.

Approval of the settlement by U.S. District Judge Richard Leon came after company Chairman and CEO Michael Dell assured Leon in a hearing that the computer maker will carry through the reforms it promised.

The Securities and Exchange Commission had said that Dell improperly used payments from Intel to pump up its profits to meet Wall Street targets over five years.

Dell himself agreed to pay a $4 million fine in the settlement. The company agreed to tighten its procedures for disclosing financial information to shareholders.

Dell, based in Round Rock, Texas, is the world's third-largest PC maker behind Hewlett-Packard Co. and Taiwan's Acer Inc.

Michael Dell, who founded the company, is one of the most prominent figures in the technology industry, credited for revolutionizing the PC market by making personal computers cheap and widely accessible.

"I am fully committed to making sure that our company implements" all the reforms it has undertaken, he told Leon. "We've continued to make a wide variety of improvements. ... We will certainly live up to all the commitments in the settlement."

The company also agreed to improve its disclosure process by hiring an outside consultant and expanding its training of employees and oversight by outside attorneys.

The settlement reached in July culminated a five-year investigation by the SEC. While the $100 million fine was far from the largest penalty levied against a company by the agency, the decision to charge a sitting chief executive of a major company and reach a seven-figure settlement with him was unusual.

So, too, was Leon's decision to hold a hearing on the proposed settlement. He noted that judges traditionally have approved SEC settlements without hearing them supported by the agency and the companies involved beforehand. But recently, Leon pointed out, several judges in separate cases have challenged the adequacy of the settlements and sent the two sides back to the bargaining table.

Last year, for example, a federal judge in New York rejected a proposed $33 million settlement between the SEC and Bank of America Corp. to resolve civil charges accusing the bank of misleading shareholders when it acquired Merrill Lynch in early 2009. The judge reluctantly approved an amended $150 million settlement in February, shortly before the case had been scheduled to go to trial.

In the Dell case, Leon said, he wanted to hold a hearing first to ensure that the settlement reflects "not only the letter but also the spirit" of the appropriate penalty for the company.

In its civil complaint, the SEC said that Michael Dell and two other company executives falsely portrayed the means by which Dell met or surpassed earnings targets from 2001 through 2006. Without the payments from Intel, the agency said, Dell would have missed analysts' estimates in every quarter during that span.

The company and Michael Dell neither admitted nor denied wrongdoing. But they did agree to refrain from future violations of securities laws.

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

2 /5 (2 votes)
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Dell Inc. paying $100 million in SEC deal

Jul 23, 2010

(AP) -- Computer maker Dell Inc. is paying $100 million to settle civil charges that it fraudulently used payments from Intel to pump up its profits to meet Wall Street targets over five years, the government announced Thursday.

Judge finds Dell Inc. in contempt

Jun 25, 2009

(AP) -- A state court judge has found Dell Inc. in contempt of court for what the plaintiffs have alleged to be piecemeal production of documents in a civil lawsuit over the New Orleans crime camera system.

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

11 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

16 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

17 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 1

Adjust slider to filter visible comments by rank

Display comments: newest first

Shootist
not rated yet Oct 13, 2010
I just [sarc] love [/sarc] these science stories. I could give a good goddam what Michael Dell does.

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.