Another exec out amid sex harrassment tension at Google

October 31, 2018
Google parent Alphabet says another executive accused of sexual harassment has left the company

Google-parent Alphabet on Wednesday confirmed that an executive accused of sexual harassment left the company without an exit package as tension over its handling of such matters heightened.

Word that Rich DeVaul, a director at X lab devoted to "moonshots" such as internet service from balloons, was out came with reports that women employees were trying to organize a walk-out on Thursday to protest lenient handling of sexual misconduct in the workplace.

Alphabet declined to share any details about DeVaul's departure from the company on Tuesday.

Google chief executive Sundar Pichai sent a message to employees late Tuesday, a copy of which was posted online by technology news website Ars Technica.

Pichai said he has heard from many employees on the subject of inappropriate behavior at work and was "deeply sorry for the past actions and the pain they have caused employees."

"As CEO, it's been personally important to me that we take a much harder line on ," Pichai said in the message.

He said anew that Google had fired 48 employees in the past two years—including 13 senior executives—as a result of allegations.

Pichai has met with Google employees about the issue since The New York Times reported last week that a senior Google , Android creator Andy Rubin, received an exit package worth $90 million as he faced allegations of misconduct, and that Google had covered up other claims of sexual harassment.

Sam Singer, a spokesman for Rubin, rejected the allegations against him in a statement to AFP, saying Rubin left Google of his own accord to launch and technology incubator Playground.

Asked by AFP and other media for its reaction, Google released an email sent to employees from Pichai stating that none of the people who resigned or were terminated due to sexual harassment concerns in the past two years received "an exit package."

"We are dead serious about making sure we provide a safe and inclusive workplace," Pichai said in the email shared last week. "We want to assure you that we review every single complaint about sexual or inappropriate conduct, we investigate and we take action."

Concerns being expressed by women at Alphabet have added to the growing chorus of voices denouncing the existence of a sexist culture in male-dominated Silicon Valley, which has knocked a number of internet industry executives at other tech giants from their perches.

Accusations concerning the lack of women in tech jobs and unfair or crude treatment endured by some in the industry have simmered for years, occasionally boiling over.

Explore further: Google says fired 48 for sexual harassment over two years

Related Stories

Google CEO says 'important to explore' China project

October 16, 2018

Google chief executive Sundar Pichai has acknowledged publicly for the first time that the tech giant is considering a search engine for China, saying it could offer "better information" to people than rival services.

Recommended for you

Team breaks world record for fast, accurate AI training

November 7, 2018

Researchers at Hong Kong Baptist University (HKBU) have partnered with a team from Tencent Machine Learning to create a new technique for training artificial intelligence (AI) machines faster than ever before while maintaining ...

0 comments

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.