Japan's NTT DoCoMo to buy US video software firm

Aug 02, 2010

Japanese mobile phone giant NTT DoCoMo said Monday it was spending 111.6 million dollars to take over a US video software firm and beef up its multimedia services.

DoCoMo will purchase the remaining 65 percent equity interest in PacketVideo Corp. after last year buying a 35-percent stake in the California company from NextWave Wireless Inc.

The acquisition comes as DoCoMo, which sees falling revenues from voice telephone calls, aims to expand its video services for next-generation high-speed mobile services.

"DoCoMo aims to create synergies with PacketVideo for enhanced media services, including the creation of an all-new domain of services that allow users to easily link their mobile handsets with home to remotely enjoy and share content," it said in a statement.

The company expects to finish the deal by the end of this year.

Explore further: Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

DoCoMo invests $45.5M in US mobile video firm

Jul 06, 2009

(AP) -- NTT DoCoMo, Japan's largest mobile phone operator, said Monday it spent $45.5 million to take a 35 percent share in a U.S. company that makes multimedia technology for its mobile phones.

Japan's DoCoMo plans new app platform for phones

Jul 09, 2010

Japan's number one mobile phone operator NTT DoCoMo has said it will add a new application platform to its "i-mode" handsets this year as it tries to catch up with Apple's runaway iPhone success.

Japan considers end to cellphone 'SIM lock'

Mar 29, 2010

Japan is moving towards ending restrictions on mobile telephone users switching operators or using an overseas network by changing the SIM memory card, a government official said Monday.

Recommended for you

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

3 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

4 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

17 hours ago

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.