Finnish technology workers warn of strike

Nov 16, 2009

(AP) -- Some 2,000 employees in Finland's technology sector will begin a strike in two weeks time if no agreement is reached in labor talks with company managers, union leaders said Wednesday.

The weeklong strike, due to start Dec. 1, would affect certain units at engineering firm ABB, mobile phone maker Corp., shipbuilder STX Finland and engineering group Rautaruukki.

Negotiations between the Union of Salaried Employees and the Federation of Finnish Technology Industries have broken down, the union said. The current labor contract ends on Nov. 30.

The federation opposes changes demanded by the union in the collective labor agreement for different groups, while union members claim that managers are "systematically trying to worsen workers' job security and wages."

No timetable has been set for new talks.

©2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

AT&T-union negotiations expected down to the wire

Apr 03, 2009

(AP) -- Negotiators for AT&T Inc. and union officials representing 112,500 employees said Friday they expect to bargain into the weekend on five labor contracts that expire Saturday night.

AT&T and union continue negotiating

Apr 06, 2009

(AP) -- AT&T and its largest union are continuing negotiations after contracts covering tens of thousands of workers expired this weekend.

AT&T hopes to gain concessions from unions

Mar 13, 2009

(AP) -- AT&T Inc., the largest employer of union labor in the country, is renegotiating contracts that cover 112,500 workers and looks set to take advantage of the recession to reduce its health care costs.

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

1 hour ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

6 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

7 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

20 hours ago

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.