Sprint CEO: Palm Pre is 'coming out party'

Jun 05, 2009 By RACHEL METZ , AP Technology Writer

(AP) -- Sprint's chief executive says the release of Palm's Pre smart phone represents a "coming out party" for Sprint.

Sprint Nextel Corp., which will carry the Pre exclusively at least through year's end, has been shedding subscribers to competing wireless services.

In remarks in New York Friday, Sprint Dan Hesse says the launch of the Pre will show off Sprint's competitive plans. He says Sprint has "vastly" improved its customer service and network performance.

The Pre from Inc. has a touch-screen and slide-out keyboard and will cost $200 with a two-year service plan and rebate. It could be Sprint's and Palm's best hope for fighting back against Research In Motion's BlackBerry and Apple Inc.'s iPhone handsets.

Sprint is based in Overland Park, Kan., and Palm in Sunnyvale, Calif.

©2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Much riding on success -- or failure -- of Palm Pre

Jun 02, 2009

(AP) -- When Palm Inc.'s and Sprint Nextel Corp.'s latest bundle of smart phone joy, the Pre, arrives Saturday, it will be entering an increasingly crowded market backed by parents that have a lot riding ...

Palm Pre to go on sale June 6

May 19, 2009

Palm Inc., a pioneer in handheld devices but suffering hard times lately, announced Tuesday that its much-anticipated new smartphone, the Palm Pre, would go on sale in the United States on June 6.

Palm Pre goes on sale in US on Saturday

Jun 05, 2009

The Palm Pre, the new smartphone from the US pioneer in handheld devices, goes on sale in the United States on Saturday amid generally glowing reviews and favorable comparisons to Apple's iPhone.

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

3 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

8 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

9 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

23 hours ago

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.