Activision sues to stop Jack Black game

Jun 04, 2009
In this video game image released by Electronic Arts, the character Eddie Riggs, voiced by actor Jack Black, is shown in a scene from the game, "Brutal Legend." (AP Photo/Electronic Arts)

(AP) -- Activision is suing to stop the release of the Jack Black video game "Brutal Legend."

Activision Entertainment Holdings sued game developer Double Fine Productions in Santa Monica, Calif., on Wednesday. The lawsuit claims that Double Fine transferred rights owned by Activision to Electronic Arts, which plans to release the game later this year.

Activision claims it still has a valid contract to release the game and has invested roughly $15 million in it.

Phone and e-mail messages left for Double Fine and representatives weren't immediately returned.

"Brutal Legend" features Black as a heavy-metal roadie transported to a mythical world to fight evil. It's been heavily promoted at this week's .

©2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Explore further: China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Will Wright to leave Electronic Arts

Apr 08, 2009

(AP) -- Will Wright, the video game designer behind such hits as "The Sims" and "Spore," is leaving game publisher Electronic Arts Inc. after 12 years.

Recession casts shadow over video game conference

Mar 22, 2009

(AP) -- The video game industry is holding up, but the gloom of the recession will be on the minds of thousands of people at this week's Game Developers Conference in San Francisco, a key event for video game ...

Yahoo sues NFL Players Association over data (Update)

Jun 03, 2009

(AP) -- Yahoo Inc. has sued the NFL Players Association, claiming it shouldn't have to pay royalties to use players' statistics, photos and other data in its popular online fantasy football game because the ...

Recommended for you

China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

18 hours ago

China's top smartphone seller Xiaomi Corp. is raising more than $1 billion in a fresh round of funding, a move which would raise its valuation above $45 billion, a report said Sunday.

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

Dec 20, 2014

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.