BlackBerry co-founder trims stake after huge loss

Dec 25, 2013 by The Associated Press

BlackBerry co-founder Michael Lazaridis has trimmed his stake in the troubled smartphone pioneer to just below 5 percent after selling 3.5 million shares during the past two days.

The sales disclosed in a Tuesday regulatory filing came after BlackBerry Ltd. announced a third-quarter loss of $4.4 billion last week. The setback marked the latest sign of the company's deepening distress as BlackBerry's products fall further behind the iPhone and devices running on Android software.

Lazaridis previously owned a 5.7 percent stake in the Waterloo, Ontario company that he once ran.

Lazaridis and BlackBerry co-founder Douglas Fregin said they were mulling a bid to buy the company in October. But BlackBerry in November said it had abandoned a bid to sell itself.

Explore further: Shares of China's Lenovo fall after report of BlackBerry bid

not rated yet
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

BlackBerry co-founder 'in joint bid talks'

Sep 21, 2013

One of BlackBerry's co-founders has held talks with private equity firms about making a joint bid for the struggling Canadian smartphone maker, The Wall Street Journal reported Saturday.

Cerberus interested in BlackBerry

Oct 02, 2013

Private equity firm Cerberus is interested in taking a look at BlackBerry's books as a prelude to a possible bid for the troubled smartphone company.

Recommended for you

Line says no IPO this year

20 hours ago

The Japan-based operator of popular mobile messaging app Line said Monday it has decided not to go ahead with an initial public offering in Japan or overseas this year.

User comments : 0