Amazon grocery delivery rolls into San Francisco

Dec 11, 2013 by The Associated Press

Amazon.com Inc.'s grocery delivery service is rolling into San Francisco.

The says it is expanding its AmazonFresh into the city after testing it in Los Angeles and Seattle. The service provides same-day and early-morning delivery of more than 500,000 Amazon products including fresh groceries and local items.

Other companies have been expanding their online grocery delivery services for customers who want to avoid the supermarket. Competitors include FreshDirect, Instacart, Peapod and Safeway.

AmazonFresh shipping is free for orders over $35, but users have to pay $299 a year for the service. Amazon is giving customers in San Francisco a free 30-day trial.

AmazonFresh was launched in Seattle in 2007. It came to Los Angeles in June.

Explore further: China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

5 /5 (1 vote)
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Google tests same-day delivery shopping service

Mar 28, 2013

Google on Thursday began testing a service for same-day delivery of toys, clothing, groceries or other items ordered online in what could be a challenge to online retail titan Amazon.

Recommended for you

China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

22 hours ago

China's top smartphone seller Xiaomi Corp. is raising more than $1 billion in a fresh round of funding, a move which would raise its valuation above $45 billion, a report said Sunday.

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

Dec 20, 2014

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.