Netflix to run original TV series from Dreamworks

Jun 17, 2013

Netflix is going to start running original television series from Dreamworks Animation.

Financial terms were not disclosed.

. says the multi-year agreement is its biggest deal ever for original first-run content and includes more than 300 hours of new programming. It expands on an existing relationship between the companies.

The transaction is part of a major initiative by to expand its television production and distribution worldwide.

The new shows will be inspired by characters from ' hit franchises like "Shrek" and "Kung Fu Panda" and upcoming feature films as well as the Classic Media library.

The first series expected to begin airing in 2014 and will be shown in the 40 countries in which Netflix operates.

In February the companies announced their first ever Netflix original series for kids based on the film "Turbo."

Explore further: Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

5 /5 (1 vote)
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Netflix stock climbs on Disney film deal

Dec 04, 2012

Netflix shares jumped Tuesday with word that the online service struck an exclusive deal to stream live-action animated feature films from The Walt Disney Studios.

Netflix reaches 'strategic' agreement with Miramax

May 16, 2011

US movie rental company Netflix and studio Miramax have reached a multi-year agreement, under which Netflix members in the United States will be able to instantly watch motion pictures from the Miramax film ...

Original programs beef up streaming video sites

Feb 10, 2013

The big-budget original series "House of Cards" launched this month on Netflix highlights the growing importance of streaming video, which is ramping up competition against traditional TV.

Recommended for you

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

4 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

5 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

19 hours ago

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.