NY Facebook plaintiff seeks halt to criminal case

May 10, 2013

(AP)—A New York man who was charged with fraud after filing a lawsuit claiming part ownership of Facebook wants a judge to stop the criminal case from moving forward.

Paul Ceglia of Wellsville said Friday he believes Facebook is behind the criminal charges. Menlo Park, Calif.-based Facebook declined to respond to the allegations.

in Manhattan charged Ceglia last fall, saying he tried to swindle and founder Mark Zuckerberg out of part of the company by doctoring a 2003 contract. That contract is the basis of Ceglia's 2010 civil suit.

Ceglia's lawyer, Joseph Alioto, asked a judge in Buffalo on Friday to suspend the until the civil action is over, arguing it's interfering with the suit. The judge reserved decision.

A magistrate judge's recommendation that the civil case should be dismissed is pending.

Explore further: China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

1 /5 (1 vote)
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

NY man suing Facebook wants his lawyer to stay

Nov 27, 2012

(AP)—A lawyer who says he no longer wants to represent a New York man claiming part ownership of Facebook is still on the case for now after his client told a judge he doesn't want him to go.

NY man accused of trying to cheat Facebook

Oct 26, 2012

(AP)—A New York man has been charged in what authorities call a multibillion-dollar scheme to defraud Facebook Inc. and its chief executive, Mark Zuckerberg.

Recommended for you

China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

13 hours ago

China's top smartphone seller Xiaomi Corp. is raising more than $1 billion in a fresh round of funding, a move which would raise its valuation above $45 billion, a report said Sunday.

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

Dec 20, 2014

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.