Kim Dotcom poised for return with Megaupload successor

January 18, 2013
Megaupload boss Kim Dotcom, pictured as he leaves court after being granted bail, in Auckland, on February 22, 2012. Dotcom will launch a new file-sharing site at his Auckland mansion on Sunday, exactly a year after armed police arrested him at the same venue in the world's largest online piracy case.

Internet tycoon Kim Dotcom will launch a new file-sharing site at his Auckland mansion on Sunday, exactly a year after armed police arrested him at the same venue in the world's largest online piracy case.

's new venture,, aims to recreate the success of his Megaupload empire, which boasted 50 million daily visitors and accounted for four percent of all before it was shut down after the police raid.

The 38-year-old, who changed his name from Kim Schmitz, remains free on bail in New Zealand as US authorities seek his on a range of charges including , racketeering and copyright theft.

They allege Megaupload sites netted more than $175 million in criminal proceeds and cost copyright owners more than $500 million by offering pirated copies of movies, TV shows, music and other content.

Dotcom denies any wrongdoing and the charges, which carry jail terms of up to 20 years, have not discouraged him from launching the new Mega service, which he has enthusiastically promoted on in recent weeks.

"I think you will be very happy with the new #Mega," he tweeted Friday. "It's like time travel. We'll take you to the future!!!"

The tech entrepreneur has promised an "epic" launch for the new site and even impersonated Willy Wonka to promote it at an Auckland shop on Thursday, handing out tubs of ice cream with golden tickets to the event hidden in them.

Details of the planned service are scarce, but the site promises to use state-of-the-art encryption methods that mean only users, not the site's administrators, know what they are uploading.

That would theoretically stop authorities from accusing administrators of knowingly aiding online piracy, the central facing Dotcom.

Dotcom has said Mega will offer users 50GB of free storage, significantly more than similar sites such as and Drive, but most details remain under wraps until they are unveiled Sunday at the Dotcom Mansion.

The German national was preparing for his birthday party at the lavish Auckland property in January last year when armed police staged a dawn raid, tracking him down in a hidden panic room running off his bedroom.

Officers seized more than a dozen luxury cars, including a 1959 pink Cadillac, along with valuable artworks and a sawn-off shotgun, while Dotcom's bank accounts were frozen and he spent more than a month in jail.

Eventually freed on bail, his legal team have enjoyed a number of successes challenging the prosecution case, including a ruling that the police raid was illegal and a government admission that Dotcom was illegally spied upon before his arrest.

The extradition hearing is due to be heard in August.

Explore further: Megaupload boss to appeal for bail in New Zealand

Related Stories

Megaupload boss to appeal for bail in New Zealand

February 2, 2012

Megaupload boss Kim Dotcom will appeal Friday against a ruling that kept him behind bars in New Zealand while US officials seek his extradition for alleged copyright piracy, his lawyers said.

Megaupload boss allowed $49,000 monthly expenses

March 22, 2012

A New Zealand court granted Megaupload boss Kim Dotcom NZ$60,000 ($49,000) a month in living expenses Thursday as he awaits a US bid to extradite him on online piracy charges, reports said.

Megaupload N. Zealand extradition case delayed

July 10, 2012

Megaupload boss Kim Dotcom's extradition case against US authorities has been delayed until next year amid legal wrangling in New Zealand over evidence disclosure, his lawyers said Tuesday.

Megaupload boss wins right to see US evidence

August 16, 2012

The boss of file-sharing site Megaupload has the right to see US evidence against him so he can defend a bid to extradite him from New Zealand on online piracy charges, an Auckland court ruled Thursday.

Megaupload New Zealand extradition case delayed again

December 20, 2012

A US bid to extradite Megaupload boss Kim Dotcom from New Zealand for alleged online piracy has been delayed for a second time and will not be heard until August next year, his lawyers said Thursday.

Recommended for you

Dutch create world's largest man-made wave

October 5, 2015

In a country where most people live below sea level, studying the oceans is a matter of survival. Now Dutch scientists have created the world's biggest man-made wave in a bid to prepare for the worst.


Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.