Infineon cuts costs as revenue falls

Nov 14, 2012

Semiconductor maker Infineon Technologies AG says it will cut back on investment plans and introduce short-time working as global economic uncertainty weighs on demand and revenue.

Infineon on Wednesday reported drops in revenue for the July-September period, its fiscal , and for the full fiscal year. improved in the fourth quarter but was down sharply for the full year.

The company says it expects revenue in the new fiscal year to drop further. It says it will temporarily switch off underused equipment, cut back on temporary workers and make "selective use" of short-time work schemes, which allow employers to reduce production without cutting their workforce.

Planned investments for the new fiscal year will be cut from €500 million ($635 million) to €400 million.

Explore further: China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

not rated yet
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Infineon sees lower 2012 sales as crisis bites

Nov 16, 2011

German semi-conductors giant Infineon said Wednesday it expected sales in its current business year to decline by around five percent as customers increasingly hold back in the current economic gloom.

Semiconductor giant Infineon upgrades outlook

Nov 19, 2009

German semi-conductor maker Infineon on Thursday upgraded its turnover and profits forecast over the next 12 months because of higher demand from the auto industry and cost cuts.

Recommended for you

China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

2 hours ago

China's top smartphone seller Xiaomi Corp. is raising more than $1 billion in a fresh round of funding, a move which would raise its valuation above $45 billion, a report said Sunday.

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

Dec 20, 2014

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.