Nokia apologises for embarrassing PR gaffe

Sep 06, 2012
Nokia Chief Executive Stephen Elop introduces the new Nokia Lumia 920 and 820 Windows smartphones during a joint event with Microsoft on September 5, in New York City. Beleaguered telecom giant Nokia apologised on Thursday for a video demonstration that led viewers to believe it had been filmed with its new smartphone but was in fact made with other equipment.

Beleaguered telecom giant Nokia apologised on Thursday for a video demonstration that led viewers to believe it had been filmed with its new smartphone but was in fact made with other equipment.

"We apologise for the confusion we created," Nokia wrote in a blog post entitled "An Apology is Due".

In the video clip screened Wednesday at a press conference for the launch of Nokia's new flagship Lumia 920 smartphone, a reflection in a window (27 sec.) reveals that the video was not shot using a mobile phone but another type of camera.

This video is not supported by your browser at this time.

"In an effort to demonstrate the benefits of stabilisation (which eliminates blurry images and improves pictures shot in low light conditions), we produced a video that simulates what we will be able to deliver with OIS," it said.

"Of course, hindsight is 20/20, but we should have posted a disclaimer stating this was a representation of OIS only. This was not shot with a Lumia 920. At least, not yet," the Finnish company added.

Nokia, once the world leader in mobile phones, has been struggling in recent years, losing market share as consumers move to smartphones powered by Apple's iOS or 's Android operating system.

The company enjoyed more than 40 percent of the global in 2008. It no longer provides its figures, but has reportedly seen the number drop below 20 percent.

The company launched a new strategy a year-and-a-half ago, phasing out its Symbian smartphones in favor of a partnership with Microsoft.

On Wednesday it presented two new Windows-powered phones, the Lumia 820 and 920. While analysts were generally favourable to the phones, most suggested they would have a hard time competing with Apple's new due to be launched next week.

The Nokia share price slumped more than 10 percent after Wednesday's launch, and shed another 3.0 percent in Helsinki on Thursday.

In June, the company announced 10,000 job cuts would be needed on top of the 12,000 layoffs already announced in the past 18 months, and an additional 1.6 billion euros ($2.0 billion) in cost cuts by the end of 2013.

Explore further: China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Nokia cuts US price of flagship smartphone

Jul 16, 2012

(AP) — Nokia has halved the price of the Lumia 900 in the United States in an effort to boost sales of its flagship Windows smartphone, the cellphone manufacturer announced on Monday.

Nokia launches mobile streaming music in US

Sep 04, 2012

Nokia said Tuesday it was launching a free music streaming service for US customers with its Lumia handsets, without ads, as the Finnish firm seeks to gain traction in the smartphone market.

Recommended for you

China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

5 hours ago

China's top smartphone seller Xiaomi Corp. is raising more than $1 billion in a fresh round of funding, a move which would raise its valuation above $45 billion, a report said Sunday.

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

Dec 20, 2014

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.