Samsung vows 'all measures' to keep products in US

Aug 28, 2012

South Korea's Samsung Electronics vowed on Tuesday to take "all necessary measures" to keep its products on US store shelves, in response to Apple's request for a ban on sales of some smartphones.

After winning a $1.05 billion US court judgement in a patent suit last week, Apple on Monday filed a court request to ban eight Samsung mobile devices including versions of its Galaxy and Droid smartphones.

Samsung, the world's biggest , countered in a statement: "We will take all necessary measures to ensure the availability of our products in the US market."

Rival Apple says that it reserves the right to seek permanent injunctions banning the sale of all 28 Samsung devices which a jury on Friday found infringed its patents.

But it presented a shorter list of Samsung products "to address a portion of the immediate, ongoing irreparable harm that Apple is suffering".

The phones that Apple included on its list for a sales ban are old models but still available through and online retailers. Samsung's newest flagship products—Galaxy S III and Galaxy Note—were not included.

The jury in San Jose, California decided Friday that Samsung "wilfully" infringed six Apple patents for smartphones or tablet PCs.

Samsung has vowed to contest the verdict, saying courts in other countries had previously ruled it had not copied Apple's designs.

The company did not elaborate on its strategy but it is considering removing or modifying features found to have infringed Apple's patents to keep its products on the market if the sales ban is granted.

"As a last resort, we can think about workarounds," a Samsung official told AFP on condition of anonymity, referring to possible modifications.

Judge Lucy Koh has set a hearing for September 20 to consider enforcement of injunctions against Samsung devices.

She will also hear Samsung motions to reduce or dismiss charges and Apple's request for "punitive" damages, which could triple the award.

Friday's ruling—part of a legal battle in nine countries between the two technology titans —was seen as a major defeat for smartphone makers that use Google's Android operating system.

More than 90 percent of the latest smartphones from HTC, Lenovo Group, ZTE Corp., Huawei Technologies and LG Electronics use the Android operating platform.

Samsung officials say their company could develop new or software to avoid being a future target of patent litigation.

Samsung and other makers are working with Microsoft to launch Windows-based devices later this year. Samsung also has been working with Intel on a free and open mobile platform.

Samsung shares ended 1.27 percent higher at 1,195,000 won Tuesday, a day after plunging 7.5 percent—the biggest single-day percentage drop the electronics giant has seen in nearly four years.

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Samsung pulls tablet PC from trade show amid row

Sep 05, 2011

South Korea's Samsung Electronics said Monday it has withdrawn its new tablet computer from a major electronics fair in Berlin after a German court accepted a complaint from US rival Apple.

Samsung says Germany rejects Apple's sales ban bid

Feb 02, 2012

South Korea's Samsung Electronics said Thursday a German court rejected Apple's bid to ban sales of its tablet computers and new smartphones, the latest chapter in a global legal battle between the rivals.

US court rejects Apple request on Samsung sales

Dec 04, 2011

Samsung on Saturday welcomed a ruling by a US court rejecting Apple Inc's request for a preliminary injunction against sales of some of its Galaxy smartphones and tablet computers.

Apple wins $1bn in patent suit against Samsung

Aug 24, 2012

Apple won more than $1 billion in a massive US court victory over Samsung on Friday, in one of the biggest patent cases in decades—a verdict that could have huge market repercussions.

Samsung seeks iPhone sales ban in Japan, Australia

Oct 17, 2011

South Korea's Samsung Electronics said Monday it is trying to block the sale of Apple's newest iPhone in Japan and Australia, escalating a legal battle with the US company after several setbacks.

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

9 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

14 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

15 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.