BlackBerry maker co-CEO calls outages unfortunate

Oct 18, 2011

(AP) -- The co-CEO of BlackBerry maker Research in Motion is making only a brief reference to last week's outages as he opened a conference for software programmers in San Francisco.

Mike Lazaridis says the outages were "unfortunate." He said Tuesday that the company restored service as quickly as possible and is working on figuring out the causes and "making this right" for users worldwide.

On Monday, BlackBerry tried to soothe tens of millions of frustrated customers by offering more than $100 worth of free software to each one and giving some a month of technical support.

After briefly addressing the outage, Lazaridis introduced an upcoming operating system called BBX, which combines elements of BlackBerry's existing system with those of a previously announced QNX operating system for phones and .

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

not rated yet
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Making up: free apps for furious Blackberry users

Oct 17, 2011

Trying to make amends for massive outages last week, Research In Motion announced a free premium apps giveaway for millions of its customers who may still feel jolted, and a month of technical support for some.

RIM rallies developers to burnish BlackBerry

Oct 17, 2011

Research In Motion (RIM) kicks off a major software developers conference Tuesday as the BlackBerry maker tries to burnish its tarnished image and stop losing ground to rivals.

BlackBerry maker tries to soothe angry customers

Oct 18, 2011

(AP) -- The maker of the struggling BlackBerry tried to soothe tens of millions of frustrated customers Monday, offering more than $100 worth of free software to each one and giving some a month of technical ...

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

29 minutes ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

5 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

6 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

20 hours ago

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.