Seven states join suit against AT&T, T-Mobile deal

Sep 16, 2011
Seven US states threw their support on Friday behind the Department of Justice lawsuit seeking to block AT&T's $39 billion takover of T-Mobile.

Seven US states threw their support on Friday behind the Department of Justice lawsuit seeking to block AT&T's $39 billion takeover of T-Mobile.

The Justice Department said the attorney generals of California, Illinois, Massachusetts, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Washington had joined the suit filed in US District Court here last month.

The move is another setback for AT&T as it seeks to salvage the proposed takeover of T-Mobile USA, the US unit of Deutsche Telekom.

"We have had an excellent working relationship with a number of state attorneys general and they have provided invaluable assistance throughout our investigation," the Justice Department said in a statement.

"We are pleased that these states have joined the department in its lawsuit," it said. "Together, we will seek to protect consumers from the anti-competitive harm that would result from this proposed transaction."

AT&T submitted a defense of its takeover bid for T-Mobile to the court last week, rejecting the Justice Department's assertion that the deal would be anti-competitive and claiming that it would benefit consumers.

"Rather than substantially reducing competition, the combined firm will usher in more intense competition to an already vibrantly competitive market," AT&T said.

US District Court Judge Ellen Huvelle has ordered lawyers for the Justice Department, AT&T and T-Mobile to attend a meeting on Wednesday to discuss the prospects for a settlement.

In the event the case goes to trial, the Justice Department proposed on Friday that it begin on March 19, 2012. AT&T has proposed a January 16, 2012 trial date.

Explore further: Underfire Uber ramps up rider safety

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Judge sets first hearing in AT&T anti-trust case

Sep 07, 2011

The federal judge hearing the US government's lawsuit seeking to block AT&T's $39 billion takeover of T-Mobile has set a first meeting to discuss the prospects for a settlement.

AT&T defends T-Mobile deal in response to DOJ suit

Sep 10, 2011

(AP) -- AT&T is countering the U.S. government's attempt to block its $39 billion acquisition of T-Mobile by depicting the deal as a way to provide consumers with better cell phone service at lower prices.

Sprint wants AT&T, T-Mobile deal blocked

Mar 28, 2011

Sprint Nextel, the third-largest US wireless provider, urged US regulators on Monday to block AT&T's $39 billion acquisition of T-Mobile USA, saying it would harm competition.

AT&T's T-Mobile buy faces congressional scrutiny

May 11, 2011

US lawmakers grilled AT&T on Wednesday over its proposed $39 billion acquisition of rival T-Mobile USA, questioning whether the mega-merger would harm competition in the fast-growing wireless industry.

Antitrust suit a huge blow for AT&T: analysts

Aug 31, 2011

The decision by US authorities to challenge AT&T's $39 billion takeover of T-Mobile is a bitter blow for the US telecoms giant, but it could benefit consumers, analysts said. ...

Recommended for you

Underfire Uber ramps up rider safety

1 hour ago

Uber is ramping up driver background checks and other security measures worldwide after the smartphone-focused car-sharing service was banned in New Delhi following the alleged rape of a passenger.

Sony cancels NKorea parody film release after threats

1 hour ago

Hollywood studio Sony Pictures on Wednesday abruptly canceled the December 25 release date of "The Interview," a parody film which has angered North Korea and triggered chilling threats from hackers.

Sprint accused of billing for unwanted services

6 hours ago

(AP)—Federal regulators are accusing Sprint Corp. of illegally billing its wireless customers hundreds of millions of dollars in charges for text message alerts and other services that they didn't order.

User comments : 1

Adjust slider to filter visible comments by rank

Display comments: newest first

dogbert
not rated yet Sep 16, 2011
Good. We need competition in the cell phone market.

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.