Court lets Skyhook case against Google proceed

May 06, 2011 By John Letzing

A Massachusetts judge has ruled that Skyhook Wireless Inc. can move ahead with its legal case against Google Inc., intended to bolster its claim that the Internet search giant interfered with Skyhook's business partnerships.

Boston-based Skyhook sued Google last year, alleging that Google interfered with Skyhook's ability to have its location-sensing technology placed on mobile devices made by Motorola and Samsung.

Skyhook says Google used its market power to pressure companies into using Google's own, competing technology in their phones.

In an order made public on Tuesday, Superior Court Justice Judith Fabricant denied a motion by Google to dismiss Skyhook's case, and wrote that discovery, or a phase that involves parties obtaining evidence to back their case, can proceed.

Fabricant noted that Skyhook's argument appears to be that Google has used its "contractual power" to injure Skyhook and avoid competition with Skyhook's technology.

"Whether Skyhook will be able to elicit evidence to support that theory remains to be seen, but, at least at this stage, the Court cannot conclude that the theory lacks viability," Fabricant wrote.

"It's a big milestone in the case," said Skyhook Chief Executive Ted Morgan. "Google's been dragging their feet from day one on any issues of discovery."

A Google spokesman declined to comment.

Fabricant has not always expressed a positive view of Skyhook's case. In an order denying Skyhook's motion for an injunction, filed in December, the judge wrote that, "As the record stands so far," Skyhook's "showing is not strong."

Fabricant wrote then that Google had not closed off the prospect that it might approve devices running a revised version of Skyhook's technology, though that version was never submitted. The judge added that the record has not established that Motorola actually terminated its deal with Skyhook "as a result of anything Google did."

Fabricant also wrote in December: "The Court cannot conclude that Skyhook is likely to prevail at trial" on its theory that Google used its market power to dissuade partners from using Skyhook's technology.

Motorola and Samsung provide a number of that are based on Google's Android mobile operating system software. Skyhook has said it invested over $1.5 million in its Motorola partnership, which it claims Google objected to based on claims of incompatibility between Skyhook's technology and Android.

Samsung informed Skyhook in July of last year that it was no longer using its technology, while Motorola terminated its agreement with Skyhook in August, according to court documents.

Fabricant noted this week that device manufacturers have told Skyhook that their decision to not use the company's technology was "unrelated to any conduct of Google."

"That does not ... establish that the expressed reasons were the actual reasons, or that other considerations, such as pressure from Google, played no role," Fabricant wrote.

In its motion to dismiss, Google had argued that Motorola terminated its deal with Skyhook because Skyhook insisted that breach its pre-existing obligations to Google, while Samsung opted to stop using Skyhook's technology due to "performance and price issues."

Skyhook has already "laid bare the meritless nature of its claims," says in the motion.

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

not rated yet
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Microsoft attacks Google over security

Apr 11, 2011

Microsoft Corp. is lashing out at Google Inc., extending hostilities between two of the most prominent corporations in the technology industry.

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

12 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

17 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

18 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.