'2011 looks huge' for video game follow-ups

Feb 01, 2011 By Mike Snider

Batman leads a league of sequels headed for video games this year.

The Caped Crusader's "Batman: Arkham City," due this fall for PS3, Xbox 360 and PCs, joins follow-ups in the "Zelda," "Gears of War" and "Mass Effect" franchises.

"2011 looks huge for new releases, maybe even fuller than 2010," says Leigh Alexander of industry trade site Gamasutra.com. "Many beloved franchises are getting sequels their fans have been waiting for for a long time."

Despite last year's high-profile hit follow-ups such as "Call of Duty: Black Ops," "Halo Reach" and "New . ," total industry sales were down 6 percent, at $18.6 billion, according to market tracking firm The NPD Group.

While publishers will again lean heavily on sequels to proven titles, some surprises are in the pipeline. Due Feb. 22 is an over-the-top, first-person sci-fi shooter, "Bulletstorm" ($60, PS3, Xbox 360 and PCs; ages 17-up). "L.A. Noire" (PS3 and Xbox 360, no price or rating), a detective thriller from Rockstar, developers of "," arrives May 17.

"Sequels are not necessarily a bad thing, but if there weren't games like "L.A. Noire" coming, it would be much more concerning," says Brian Crecente of game-news site Kotaku.com. "You look at the big titles, almost every one that people are talking about has numbers after the title."

Sequels do improve on past games. Already out, "LittleBigPlanet 2" ($60, all ages, for PS3) adds environments and lets players design their own games. "Gears of War 3," due this fall for Xbox 360, has female squad member characters and a five-player multiplayer mode. "The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword," due later this year for Wii, heightens the sword-wielding action.

Other major threads in 2011 titles:

-Body movin'. More games will take advantage of Microsoft's hands-free Kinect controller for Xbox 360 and Sony's PlayStation Move "as developers get more familiar with what those controllers can do," says journalist Chris Morris. "Dead Space 2" ($60, out now, PS3, , PCs, ages 17-up) includes second "Dead Space: Extraction on PS3" that uses the Move controller. "Michael Jackson: The Experience," already out for Wii, is due for Kinect and Move April 12.

-3-D games. Sony has several 3-D-ready PS3 games, including "Killzone 3" ($60, Feb. 22, ages 17-up), "Motorstorm Apocalypse" ($60, April 12, ages 13-up) and "Uncharted 3: Drake's Decision" (Nov. 1, not yet rated). Nintendo's 3DS hand-held system ($250, due March 27) will deliver 3-D games without the need for special glasses.

Explore further: Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

5 /5 (1 vote)
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Microsoft to launch Kinect in Japan in November

Sep 08, 2010

Microsoft's long-awaited Kinect motion-sensing system for the Xbox 360 videogame console will hit the Japanese market in November, the company said Wednesday, as competition in the sector heats up.

High-energy E3 bodes well for videogame lovers

Jun 18, 2010

Scintillating titles, hot motion-sensing controllers and rich 3-D play dazzled videogame lovers at a high-energy Electronic Entertainment Expo that heralded stellar times ahead.

Sony's PS3 outsells Wii fivefold in Japan: survey

Sep 25, 2009

Sony's PlayStation 3 video game console outsold Nintendo's Wii nearly fivefold in Japan in the three weeks to September 20, helped by the launch of a new cheaper, slim version, a survey said Friday.

US videogame sales continue downward slide

Sep 10, 2010

US videogame sales slid again in August as the industry hoped that hot titles and new motion-sensing controllers due out in coming months would reverse its fortunes.

Recommended for you

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

26 minutes ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

1 hour ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

15 hours ago

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

21 hours ago

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.