Brazil judge orders arrest of Google president

September 25, 2012

(AP)—A judge has ordered the arrest of the president of Google's operations in Brazil for failure to remove You Tube videos that attacked a mayoral candidate.

The order to Fabio Jose Silva Coelho was issued Monday by Judge Flavio Peren of Mato Grosso do Sul state. It was prompted by two videos containing disparaging remarks against Alcides Bernal who is running for mayor of the city of Campo Grande.

Peren ordered the removal of the videos last week. He also ordered a statewide, 24-hour suspension of Google and its video sharing web site.

Police say they have not received orders to arrest Coelho.

says in a statement it is appealing the judge's ruling because it is not responsible for the content posted on its site.

Explore further: French court says YouTube not obligated to control content

0 shares

Related Stories

Japan lawyer calls for Google autocomplete change

March 27, 2012

A Japanese lawyer on Tuesday urged Google to makes its "autocomplete" function more flexible, after a court ordered the search giant to modify the feature to prevent embarrassment for his client.

Federal judge delays Google case pending appeal

September 17, 2012

(AP)—A federal appeals judge in New York has agreed to delay a court challenge to Google Inc.'s plans to create the world's largest digital library while the court considers whether authors should receive class status.

Recommended for you

Making AI systems that see the world as humans do

January 19, 2017

A Northwestern University team developed a new computational model that performs at human levels on a standard intelligence test. This work is an important step toward making artificial intelligence systems that see and understand ...

Firms push hydrogen as top green energy source

January 18, 2017

Over a dozen leading European and Asian firms have teamed up to promote the use of hydrogen as a clean fuel and cut the production of harmful gasses that lead to global warming.

WhatsApp vulnerable to snooping: report

January 13, 2017

The Facebook-owned mobile messaging service WhatsApp is vulnerable to interception, the Guardian newspaper reported on Friday, sparking concern over an app advertised as putting an emphasis on privacy.

0 comments

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.