Starz Sues Disney TV Arm Over iTunes Deal

Mar 23, 2007

Starz Entertainment has sued Buena Vista Television, the licensing arm of Disney, in a breach of contract suit that involves Apple's iTunes.

Starz Entertainment has sued Buena Vista Television, the licensing arm of Disney, in a breach of contract suit that involves Apple's iTunes.

Specifically, the suit charges that Disney began selling content through iTunes that it had previously promised to Starz, through an exclusive license window of time.

"The film studios have been very aggressive, and quite rightly so, in protecting their copyrights, particularly with regard to the Internet," said Robert B. Clasen, chief executive Officer and chairman of Starz, in a statement. "Starz must be equally aggressive in protecting the value of the deal it made. It is especially disappointing to see one of the largest studios ignore so blatantly its own contractual obligations to protect the copyrights it has licensed to Starz."

The suit notes that the licensing agreements do allow Disney to distribute its films on a pay-per-view or on-demand basis, as well as home video distribution, but prevents them from licensing its films "for exhibition in any form of television or electronic delivery."

Copyright 2007 by Ziff Davis Media, Distributed by United Press International

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

10 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

15 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

16 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.