Ericsson strong on broadband, mobiles

May 10, 2006

Strong demand for broadband worldwide and for mobile phones in developing countries is keeping the telecom industry strong, the head of Ericsson said.

"Broadband is becoming a basic necessity in today's information society, and it is now the fastest growing segment in the entire telecom industry," said Chief Executive Carl-Henric Svanberg at a New York industry conference. "The strong subscriber growth continues in both mobile networks and in fixed broadband. Indeed, we will reach three billion mobile subscriptions by 2007."

"Ericsson stands to benefit from the growth of broadband in the coming years. We have a leading position in WCDMA and HSPA and will continue to drive the upgrade to mobile broadband. With the Marconi portfolio we have expanded our offering to secure a leading position in transport and transmission. We have also strengthened our position significantly in fixed broadband access," he added.

Copyright 2006 by United Press International

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

For top broadband policy, look no further than Canada

Aug 20, 2014

You might have seen communications minister Malcolm Turnbull raising the issue about Australian press not discussing policy problems and solutions from overseas, in a speech delivered at the Lowy Institute Media Awards last week: ...

Review: Huawei's Mate2 phone good at $299

Jun 12, 2014

Mention Huawei in the U.S., and you're likely to get a blank look. Either that person has never heard of the Chinese phone maker or has heard something about security concerns raised by lawmakers in Washington.

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

19 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.