Japan's Fujitsu sets sights on cloud computing

Jul 09, 2010
Masami Yamamoto, President of Japan's computer services firm Fujitsu, gives a speech during a press conference to explain its business strategy at the headquarters in Tokyo. Fujitsu said Friday it aimed to generate 1.5 trillion yen (17 billion dollars) in revenue from its global cloud computing business by March 2016, making it a cornerstone of its strategy.

Japan's Fujitsu said Friday it aimed to generate 1.5 trillion yen (17 billion dollars) in revenue from its global cloud computing business by March 2016, making it a cornerstone of its strategy.

Japan's biggest IT service provider will invest 100 billion yen this fiscal year in cloud-related business, up 54 percent from the previous year, and will train 5,000 specialists by 2012, president Masami Yamamoto said.

consists of computer applications or hosted online by technology firms instead of being installed and maintained on users' machines.

The lower-cost concept has grown in popularity during the and also thanks to higher Internet speeds.

"We are focusing our investment on cloud computing, because our medium and long-term growth depends on it," Yamamoto told a news conference.

"We feel threatened because as the cloud-based business and infrastructure accelerate, existing business areas will steadily decline."

in April said it would expand its cloud to five locations outside Japan by March 2011: Australia, Britain, Germany, Singapore and the United States.

The company set up a data centre in China this year which will begin operating next year. Fujitsu expects revenue from cloud computing of 45 billion yen this year, more than double the previous year.

For the current year to March, Fujitsu expects to double to 185 billion yen. It kept its fiscal 2011 target for a net profit of 130 billion yen on sales of five trillion yen.

Replicating many Japanese companies facing sluggish demand at home, Fujitsu hopes to boost overseas business to 40 percent of its total revenue, or some 300 billion yen, with one-third coming from India and China, Yamamoto said.

The technology giant last month announced a merger with Toshiba of their mobile phone businesses in Japan to create the nation's second-largest cellphone maker and to strengthen development of smartphones.

Yamamoto also said that a dispute with Fujitsu's former boss, who claims he was illegally fired, had made little impact on its business.

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Fujitsu back in the black for fiscal year

Apr 30, 2010

Japan's Fujitsu, embroiled in a dispute with its former boss, announced a return to profit Friday after massive losses the previous year as cost-cutting measures offset a decline in sales.

Japan's Toshiba sees losses narrow

May 07, 2010

Japanese high-tech giant Toshiba Corp. announced Friday a sharply narrowed annual net loss based on strong demand for flash memory chips used in laptops, smartphones and other gadgets.

Toshiba to spend big on chips, nuclear power

May 11, 2010

(AP) -- Toshiba Corp. unveiled an ambitious three-year agenda Tuesday, aiming to quadruple profits and spend $14 billion to amplify its strengths in semiconductors and nuclear power.

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

18 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

23 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.