Pulitzer Board elects Politico co-founder

Dec 07, 2009 By SAMANTHA GROSS , Associated Press Writer

(AP) -- The Pulitzer Prize Board has elected its first member representing a primarily online news organization, keeping in step with the board's recent decision to allow entries from more online sites.

The selection of Jim VandeHei, and co-founder of the news Politico, "reflects the changing nature of the ," said Sig Gissler, administrator of the prizes.

"He's a smart, talented journalist who also has this new media experience that will enrich the mix of background and outlooks that the board has," Gissler said.

VandeHei will help decide who receives the prestigious journalism prizes.

The announcement Monday comes days after the board said it had adjusted its rules to allow entries from Web sites that are not "primarily dedicated" to original news reporting. The steps mark the latest changes for the overseers of the venerated prizes, who for years have been coping with a shifting media landscape in which news increasingly is published and read online.

VandeHei's appointment and the board's decision last year to consider entries from news organizations that publish only online "are extremely positive steps in the evolution of journalism," Arianna Huffington said in a statement.

The co-founder and editor-in-chief of news Web site The Huffington Post called the developments "a recognition that what matters is great reporting, not the platform on which the great reporting first appeared."

News and analysis site Slate will likely submit its work for prize consideration now that the rules have changed, said Jacob Weisberg, chairman and editor-in-chief of the Slate Group, which publishes Slate and other Web sites.

"They're recognizing that the kind of journalism that the Pulitzers exist to reward can really come in any format now," Weisberg said Monday. "To tie it to print or the concept of a newspaper is really anachronistic."

Before he left to start Politico in 2006, VandeHei worked as a political reporter for The Washington Post, where he covered Congress, the 2004 presidential race and the White House. Before that, he covered Washington for The Wall Street .

Last year, Matt Wuerker of Politico was among three finalists for the Pulitzer editorial cartoon award, although none of 65 online-only entries won any prizes. Since 2006, the board has accepted entries of online content from newspaper Web sites in all journalism categories. It has allowed entries of online content in the Public Service category since 1999.

VandeHei fills one of two vacancies on the board, which includes 17 voting and two nonvoting members. He will serve at least one three-year term, and could be re-elected to serve two more terms.

©2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Explore further: China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Hartford Courant competitors seethe over Web site

Sep 04, 2009

(AP) -- After cutting its newsroom by half because of the recession and sagging advertising revenue, The Hartford Courant found a new source for news - its competition - and found itself in a plagiarism scandal.

Recommended for you

China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

23 hours ago

China's top smartphone seller Xiaomi Corp. is raising more than $1 billion in a fresh round of funding, a move which would raise its valuation above $45 billion, a report said Sunday.

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

Dec 20, 2014

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.