Samsung to pay Qualcomm 1.3 bln dlrs in new licensing deal

Nov 05, 2009

South Korea's Samsung Electronics said Thursday it will pay 1.3 billion dollars plus royalties to US wireless chip supplier Qualcomm under a new 15-year licensing deal.

Samsung, the world's second largest mobile phone maker, said it would make the advance payment for the use of Qualcomm's licences in wireless technology including code division multiple access (CDMA).

The Korean firm said it would also grant Qualcomm the right to use Samsung's 57 patent licences in mobile technology.

It said the technology in the cross-licensing deal includes fourth-generation wireless technology used in handset devices and base stations.

is one of Qualcomm's major markets since it is also home to the world's third largest handset maker, LG Electronics.

In July South Korea's antitrust watchdog imposed a 208 million dollar fine on for abusing its monopoly over the mobile handset chip market.

(c) 2009 AFP

Explore further: Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Qualcomm in sights of Japanese regulators

Jul 28, 2009

The Japan Fair Trade Commission (JFTC) has set its sights on Qualcomm, less than a week after the US wireless technology titan was fined over 200 million dollars by South Korea's antitrust watchdog.

SKorean firms to jointly develop new chips

Jul 27, 2009

Samsung Electronics will lead a group of South Korean firms in jointly developing advanced semiconductors used for smartphones and digital televisions, officials said Monday.

Recommended for you

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

4 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

5 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

19 hours ago

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.