DoCoMo invests $45.5M in US mobile video firm

Jul 06, 2009

(AP) -- NTT DoCoMo, Japan's largest mobile phone operator, said Monday it spent $45.5 million to take a 35 percent share in a U.S. company that makes multimedia technology for its mobile phones.

The cellular carrier made the investment in PacketVideo Corp., a San Diego-based company that makes a multimedia player used in its handsets, the companies said in a news release. PacketVideo is a subsidiary of NextWave Wireless Inc.

said the purchase was made to strengthen its music and video services domestically.

In , where most phones come with digital TV tuners and software to play audio and video files, operators have traditionally had strict control over the software and standards used in phones on their networks.

But the industry is warily eyeing popular foreign entrants like Apple's iPhone. Softbank Corp., the carrier that exclusively offers the in Japan, has used the device to lure subscribers from its rivals.

©2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

DoCoMo's promise of a beyond-3G phone

May 11, 2006

For some, having a MP3 player, camera, video player, organizer and Internet access on a single mobile phone simply isn't good enough. The picture quality must be better, as must the sound. But most importantly, the download ...

NTT DoCoMo expands i-mode to Hong Kong

Jun 01, 2006

A decade ago NTT DoCoMo was the mobile arm of Japan's single-biggest phone carrier, which dominated the domestic market that it more or less focused on exclusively. These days, the company continues to be one of the biggest ...

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

16 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

21 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

22 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.