Apple CEO Steve Jobs back at work few days a week

Jun 29, 2009 By JESSICA MINTZ , AP Technology Writer
FILE - In this Oct. 14, 2008 file photo, Apple CEO Steve Jobs smiles during a product announcement at Apple headquarters in Cupertino, Calif. Apple on Monday, June 29, 2009 said CEO Steve Jobs is back at work a few days a week and working from home other days. Jobs, a cancer survivor, had been on leave since the end of January. (AP Photo/Paul Sakuma, file)

(AP) -- Apple Inc. co-founder and CEO Steve Jobs is back at work after a five-and-a-half-month medical leave, during which he received a liver transplant.

Jobs, 54, is working from Apple's Cupertino, Calif., headquarters "a few days a week" and working from home the remaining days, spokesman Steve Dowling said Monday.

The Apple chief was diagnosed with a rare form of pancreatic cancer. He had surgery in 2004 and announced then that he was cured.

Last year, Jobs' dramatic weight loss prompted new questions about his health. In early January, he said in a statement that he was suffering from an easily treated , but less than two weeks later Jobs said his medical condition was more complex than he initially thought. He announced he would take a leave of absence until the end of June.

Methodist University Hospital Transplant Institute in Memphis, Tenn., said last week that Jobs had received a liver transplant, confirming an earlier report in The Wall Street Journal.

Jobs was recovering well and his prognosis was good, the hospital said.

Few CEOs are considered as instrumental to their companies as Jobs has been to Apple since he returned in 1997 after a 12-year hiatus. With Jobs serving as head showman and demanding elegance in product design, Apple has expanded from a niche to become the dominant producer of portable music players and a huge player in the cell phone business.

News and rumors about his health have sent Apple stock soaring or plunging.

Shares of Apple rose 43 cents to $142.87 in afternoon trading Monday.

©2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Jobs appears closer to returning to work at Apple

Jun 24, 2009

(AP) -- Apple co-founder and CEO Steve Jobs appears to be a step closer to returning to work, as a doctor gave him an "excellent prognosis" after receiving a liver transplant at a Tennessee hospital.

Apple CEO gets liver transplant: report

Jun 20, 2009

Apple chief executive Steve Jobs, on medical leave since January for treatment of an undisclosed condition, received a liver transplant about two months ago in Tennessee, The Wall Street Journal reported ...

Apple fans are prepared for a part-time Jobs

Jun 22, 2009

(AP) -- Five and a half months ago, word that Steve Jobs would only work part-time as he recovered from a liver transplant would have sent investors into a selling frenzy, so closely linked was Apple's charismatic ...

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

15 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

20 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

21 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.