Google confirms it sold barge docked in Maine

Aug 01, 2014
The now confimed Google barge under construction is docked at a pier on Treasure Island on October 30, 2013 in San Francisco, California

Google Inc. is confirming that the so-called "Google barge" it docked in Maine has been sold.

The barge carries dozens of old that were joined to create a four-story building. Google envisioned it as one of three floating .

The Portland Press Herald says an international company is buying the barge and taking it on an ocean voyage. Portland Harbor's deputy harbor master says the containers will be disassembled and scrapped.

The barge first docked in Portland Harbor in October and moved to South Portland Wednesday. A Portland city spokeswoman says the city received $400,000 in state reimbursements while it docked there.

Google initially had little to say about the barges, leading to speculation about its intentions. It later revealed they were to be stores. One is moored in Stockton, California.

Explore further: Google barge cruising from San Francisco to delta

not rated yet
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

2 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

7 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

8 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

21 hours ago

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.