Court orders retraction of back taxes on IBM Japan

May 09, 2014

A Tokyo court ordered authorities Friday to retract back taxes they had imposed on IBM's Japan unit for its alleged failure to declare some $4 billion in income.

In 2010, the Tokyo regional tax bureau slapped the back taxes, worth some 120 billion ($1.18 billion), on IBM Japan's holding company, IBM AP Holdings.

The bureau had insisted that the group generated losses by manipulating intra-group trade of IBM Japan shares so as to evade taxation.

But the holding company, denying the allegation that it failed to declare 400 billion yen ($3.9 billion) in income, filed a suit with the Tokyo District Court to seek the retraction of the taxes.

Presiding judge Kazuhiro Yagi said there was no ground to determine that the IBM group had attempted .

"We deem that the ruling has accepted our company's position," IBM Japan's public relations office said in a statement.

"IBM takes the taxpayers' responsibility very seriously and will continue fulfilling its tax obligations not only in Japan but also in every country it does business."

Explore further: IBM to invest over $1.2B in cloud services

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

IBM posts higher 4Q net income (Update)

Jan 21, 2014

IBM's fourth-quarter net income grew 6 percent, surpassing Wall Street's expectations even though revenue fell. Its shares fell in extended trading after the results came out—and CEO Ginni Rometty said she's recommending ...

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

12 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

17 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

18 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.