High court declines review of Facebook settlement

Nov 04, 2013

The Supreme Court has left in place the settlement of a class-action lawsuit against Facebook over a marketing program that broadcast users' purchasing and shopping habits to their friends.

The justices declined Monday to review the $9.5 million of a lawsuit about the now-shuttered Beacon marketing program. The money from the settlement was used to pay lawyers and set up an Internet privacy foundation. Almost none of it reached Facebook users.

The case offered a court that has been hostile to class-action lawsuits the opportunity to limit a popular way of settling such claims by directing the bulk of the money involved to lawyers and charity, rather than people affected by a company's practices.

Chief Justice John Roberts said the court should take up the issue in another case.

Explore further: China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

not rated yet
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Court: Harvard twins stuck with Facebook agreement

Apr 11, 2011

A federal appeals court ruled Monday that former Harvard University schoolmates of Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg can't undo their settlement over creation of the social networking site.

Appeals court won't reconsider Facebook settlement

May 16, 2011

A federal appeals court has refused to reconsider its decision ordering two former Harvard classmates of Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg to accept a multimillion dollar settlement over the company.

Court hears challenge to $65M Facebook settlement

Jan 12, 2011

(AP) -- Former Harvard University classmates of Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg want to throw out a $65 million settlement of their lawsuit that alleged the social network was their idea. ...

Recommended for you

China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

16 minutes ago

China's top smartphone seller Xiaomi Corp. is raising more than $1 billion in a fresh round of funding, a move which would raise its valuation above $45 billion, a report said Sunday.

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

21 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.