Icahn sues over Dell buyout bid

Aug 01, 2013
Carl Icahn speaks at a media conference on February 7, 2006 in New York City. Icahn has filed a lawsuit aimed at blocking changes in timing and terms for shareholder voting Friday on a bid to take computer maker Dell private.

American investor Carl Icahn has filed a lawsuit aimed at blocking changes in timing and terms for shareholder voting Friday on a bid to take computer maker Dell private.

The suit filed in the state of Delaware by Icahn and affiliates urges the court to lay out a series of stumbling blocks to moves that would improve the chances of Michael Dell succeeding in his effort to take the company private.

The litigation seeks to prevent a change in the date by which Dell shares must have been purchased to qualify to vote and to bar those behind the buyout from voting shares bought after February 5 of this year.

The lawsuit also accuses the Dell board of directors of breaching its fiduciary duties.

A committee set up to consider a buyout of Texas-based Dell rejected a proposal intended to boost a go-private proposal, according to a letter released Wednesday.

The special committee, which has been weighing a $24.4 billion bid from a consortium led by company founder Dell to take it private, said in a letter to him and his partners that it "is not prepared to accept your proposal."

The letter did not elaborate on the decision.

Dell and his private-equity partner Silver Lake Partners on July 24 proposed bumping up the offer by 10 cents to $13.75 per share, but only if the special committee agreed to change the way votes are counted.

The proposal sought an approval process that would require a majority of shares voted, instead of a majority of all outstanding shares not affiliated with Michael Dell.

Dell postponed the vote two times earlier this month out of concerns of insufficient shareholder support, in part because shares held by parties that did not vote are to be counted as "no" votes under the current system.

The letter from the special committee said it was willing to change the date of the vote to allow shareholders more time to consider the amended $13.75 per share bid.

Alternatively, the special committee said it was willing to proceed with the existing $13.65 per share bid scheduled for August 2.

Dell, once the world's biggest personal-computer maker, has fallen behind rivals Lenovo and Hewlett-Packard and faces pressure because of slumping PC sales as consumers increasingly turn to tablets and smartphones.

A recent survey showed worldwide sales of personal computers fell for a fifth consecutive quarter in the April-June period.

Explore further: As dust clears, what's next for Sony?

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Dell panel rejects proposed vote system change

Jul 31, 2013

The committee set up to consider a buyout of beleaguered computer giant Dell rejected a proposal intended to boost a go-private proposal, according to a letter released Wednesday.

Dell buyout offer boosted; vote postponed

Jul 24, 2013

Dell founder Michael Dell and his investor allies modestly boosted their buyout offer for the struggling computer giant Wednesday, but only if the board agrees to change the vote requirements.

Dell board committee seeks info on investor plan

May 13, 2013

Dell board members say they need more details from investor Carl Icahn if he wants them to seriously consider his latest challenge to Michael Dell's $24.4 billion plan to take the computer maker private.

Dell: Investors offer short by $3.9B

Jun 05, 2013

Dell says a buyout offer from shareholder Southeastern and billionaire investor Carl Icahn is about $3.9 billion short of the amount needed to pay shareholders as promised and operate the business.

Icahn boosts offer for Dell

Jul 12, 2013

Corporate raider Carl Icahn and his allies boosted their offer for troubled US computer giant Dell, and repeated their call for shareholders to reject a $24.4 billion private equity buyout.

Recommended for you

As dust clears, what's next for Sony?

3 hours ago

The Sony hacking attack continues to deliver more dramatic plotlines than any fictional movie, but meanwhile the movie studio must move forward and tackle the next steps in minimizing the mess. Will Sony ...

It's down to the wire for online shopping

7 hours ago

As the holiday shopping season winds down, FedEx, UPS and online retailers are using the last few days to try to avoid the problems that occurred last year when severe winter weather and a surge in late orders ...

China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

Dec 21, 2014

China's top smartphone seller Xiaomi Corp. is raising more than $1 billion in a fresh round of funding, a move which would raise its valuation above $45 billion, a report said Sunday.

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

Dec 20, 2014

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.