Apple to probe Chinese claim of iPhone death

Jul 15, 2013
A woman uses her mobile phone outside an Apple store in Shanghai, on May 7, 2012. Apple has said it will investigate claims that an iPhone electrocuted a Chinese woman who was making a call while charging the device.

Apple said Monday it would investigate claims that an iPhone electrocuted a Chinese woman who was making a call while charging the device.

The case drew attention—both sympathetic and sceptical—after a woman in the western region of Xinjiang wrote about the death of her 23-year-old sister Ma Ailun on China's popular microblog service Sina Weibo.

"We will fully investigate and cooperate with authorities in this matter," said Apple's Beijing-based spokeswoman Carolyn Wu, offering condolences to the family.

The state news agency Xinhua said on Sunday that local police had confirmed Ma died of electrocution but "have yet to verify if her phone was involved".

Ma's sister warned others not to talk on their iPhones while charging them, saying on Weibo on Saturday: "Hope Apple can give an explanation!"

"What a shame, to pass away like this," she wrote of her sister.

Weibo users expressed concern about the potential danger but also questioned if it was real.

"If the accidents are real, let's be more careful when using our mobiles," one person said, but added: "Is someone trying to smear Apple?"

China is Apple's second largest market and its iPhones and other products, many of them made in the country, are highly popular.

But the company came under torrents of criticism from state media in April for alleged "arrogance" and double standards, prompting an from chief executive Tim Cook.

The People's Daily, a mouthpiece of the ruling Communist Party, slammed the firm for five days in a row, urging consumers to "strike away Apple's unparalleled arrogance".

Chinese consumers had to pay about $80 for new back covers for their devices, even though they were free in other markets, local media reported at the time.

In a Chinese-language letter, Cook said "we sincerely apologise for any concerns or ".

Apple had "many things we have to learn" about operating in the country, he added.

Explore further: China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Apple sees China becoming biggest market

Jan 11, 2013

Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook, on his second visit to China in a year, said he expects the country to surpass the United States as the technology giant's largest market, state media reported.

China court hears claim Apple's 'Siri' is a copycat

Jul 03, 2013

A case against US technology giant Apple brought by a Chinese firm for alleged patent infringement in its digital personal assistant "Siri" has begun in a Shanghai court, state media said Wednesday.

China orders stepped-up scrutiny on Apple

Mar 29, 2013

Apple is to face "strengthened supervision" from China's consumer watchdogs, state media reported Friday, as the US computer giant is hit by a barrage of negative publicity and court cases in the country.

Apple chief meets officials in China

Mar 27, 2012

Apple's new chief executive Tim Cook has held talks with officials in China, the US tech giant said Tuesday, the workshop of its products but where its operations have faced difficulties.

Recommended for you

It's down to the wire for online shopping

1 hour ago

As the holiday shopping season winds down, FedEx, UPS and online retailers are using the last few days to try to avoid the problems that occurred last year when severe winter weather and a surge in late orders ...

China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

Dec 21, 2014

China's top smartphone seller Xiaomi Corp. is raising more than $1 billion in a fresh round of funding, a move which would raise its valuation above $45 billion, a report said Sunday.

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

Dec 20, 2014

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.