Microsoft wins latest round in Motorola patent case

Feb 08, 2013
The "Microsoft" logo is seen on a tablet screen on December 4, 2012 in Paris. A federal judge on Thursday tossed out more than a dozen patent infringement claims filed against Microsoft by Google-owned Motorola Mobility.

A federal judge on Thursday tossed out more than a dozen patent infringement claims filed against Microsoft by Google-owned Motorola Mobility.

US James Robart, in Microsoft's home state of Washington, sided with the software colossus, dismissing 13 claims of infringement on a trio of Motorola patents involving digital video encoding and decoding, according to court records.

The Motorola patents were evidently not specific enough regarding the computer code involved, according to the documents.

The decision significantly narrowed the case.

If the remaining claims survive a similar legal challenge, Microsoft would likely be entitled to pay a reasonable rate to license what is considered a "standards-essential" technology, according to intellectual property specialist Florian Mueller, of FossPatents.com.

Explore further: China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Apple suit vs. Google over patent rates dismissed

Nov 05, 2012

A federal judge in Madison, Wisconsin, on Monday threw out a suit by Apple Inc. claiming that Google subsidiary Motorola Mobility is seeking unreasonably high license fees for the use of patents on wireless ...

Recommended for you

China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

18 hours ago

China's top smartphone seller Xiaomi Corp. is raising more than $1 billion in a fresh round of funding, a move which would raise its valuation above $45 billion, a report said Sunday.

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

Dec 20, 2014

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.