Microsoft to invest $100 million in Rio IT hub

Nov 08, 2012

Microsoft says it is investing $100 million in a new technology center in Rio de Janeiro.

The center is to house an advanced technology laboratory, a research and for the company's Bing search engine, as well as a business incubator aimed at promoting local startups.

It will be housed in an abandoned 18th century building, once Rio's first gas factory, in the city's downtown port, a now shabby district undergoing a vast makeover ahead of the 2016 Olympic Games.

Local officials speaking at a news conference where the project was unveiled on Thursday expressed hopes that Microsoft's investment would mark a turning point in their efforts to transform Rio into an IT hub, much like New York, Chicago, Los Angeles or Berlin.

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

not rated yet
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Google to correct map highlighting Rio slums

Apr 26, 2011

Internet giant Google has agreed to redo its online map of Rio de Janeiro within a year after being criticized for giving undue prominence to the Brazilian city's notorious favelas.

Rio declares dengue epidemic

Apr 25, 2012

Rio de Janeiro has declared a dengue epidemic after diagnosing more than 50,000 cases of the tropical mosquito-borne infection this year and over 500 in the last week alone.

Recommended for you

China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

5 hours ago

China's top smartphone seller Xiaomi Corp. is raising more than $1 billion in a fresh round of funding, a move which would raise its valuation above $45 billion, a report said Sunday.

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

Dec 20, 2014

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.