Qualcomm ups dividend, approves up to $4B buyback

March 6, 2012

(AP) -- Mobile phone chip-maker Qualcomm Inc. said Tuesday that its board approved the increase of its quarterly dividend by 16 percent to 25 cents and up to $4 billion in stock buybacks.

The company is benefiting from rising for smartphones. Profit rose 16 percent in its most recent quarter, Qualcomm said last month, and it boosted its outlook for the year ending in September.

Qualcomm said Tuesday that the moves allow it to return cash to its shareholders without slowing growth.

The $4 billion stock buyback program replaces the company's previous $3 billion repurchase plans, which had $948 million left.

The San Diego company said it will pay the higher dividend after March 23. Its had been 21.5 cents.

Qualcomm shares rose 19 cents to $62.30 in premarket trading Tuesday.

Explore further: Qualcomm 3Q profit rises 4 percent, revenue down


Related Stories

Qualcomm 3Q profit rises 4 percent, revenue down

July 21, 2010

(AP) -- Qualcomm Inc. said Wednesday that its fiscal third-quarter profit rose 4 percent and revenues fell less than analysts expected, allaying concerns among investors that the developer of wireless chips and technologies ...

Microsoft raises dividend 23 percent to 16 cents

September 22, 2010

(AP) -- Microsoft Corp. said Tuesday it is raising its quarterly dividend for the first time in two years in a move that will return more of the software maker's nearly $37 billion cash hoard to its shareholders.

Qualcomm 3Q results beat Wall Street estimates

July 20, 2011

(AP) -- Wireless chip-maker Qualcomm Inc.'s results for the latest quarter beat Wall Street's expectations, and its projections for the current quarter are also above analysts' estimates.

Microsoft raises dividend 25 pct to support stock

September 21, 2011

(AP) -- Microsoft Corp. is trying to lift its stock price by boosting its dividend 25 percent, the largest increase since the world's largest software maker started the quarterly payments seven years ago.

Recommended for you

US ends bulk collection of phone data

November 30, 2015

The US government has halted its controversial program to collect vast troves of information from Americans' phone calls, a move prompted by the revelations of former intelligence analyst Edward Snowden.


Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.