Nokia eyes China in smartphone comeback push

Feb 27, 2012
Nokia executive Mary McDowell presents the new Lumia mobile phone in Barcelona on Monday. Mobile phone giant Nokia is looking to a launch in China to help it stage a comeback in the fiercely competitive smartphone market after a dismal 2011.

Mobile phone giant Nokia on Monday looked to a launch in China to help it stage a comeback in the fiercely competitive smartphone market after a dismal 2011.

On the opening day of Congress, where tens of thousands of executives from the industry have gathered, the phone maker said it would push its flagship Lumia smartphone series that run on the Windows platform to the Asian giant.

Announcing that Windows phones have now been made compatible with Chinese mobile operating networks, Jo Harlow, who heads the Finnish group's division, said: "That means Nokia will bring Lumia to China."

Beyond eyeing the massive Chinese consumer market, the group also unveiled its a new phone called 808 Pure View, which boasts a 41 megapixel described by Harlow as a "revolution in smartphone imaging."

While Nokia mobile handsets were once ubiquitous, the firm has been struggling to secure a foothold in the smartphone market, with Lumia so far failing to reverse falling sales in its overall smartphone business.

In the , Nokia sold just 19.6 million smartphones -- 31 percent fewer than in the same quarter of 2010 and far behind market-leader Apple, which reported 37 million units sold, and runner-up Samsung, which announced 36.5 million smartphone sales in the quarter.

The group also posted a net loss of 1.2 billion euros ($1.5 billion) in 2011, compared to a of 1.8 billion euros a year earlier.

Asked if the Barcelona offers would improve the group's results, Nokia chairman and chief executive Stephen Elop said: "The most important thing is that we have demonstrated the action necessary to improve the fortunes of Nokia."

The group is "changing the strategy and executing" the shift.

"With great products and consumers alike, the rest will fall into place," he added.

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Nokia loss tempered by Windows phone launch

Jan 26, 2012

Mobile phone maker Nokia Corp. on Thursday posted a fourth-quarter net loss of euro1.07 billion ($1.38 billion) as sales slumped 21 percent even as the company's first Windows smartphones hit markets in Europe and Asia.

Nokia's mobile market share slips to 25%: Gartner

May 19, 2011

Nokia's share of the mobile phone market dropped to 25 percent in the first quarter of 2011, the lowest for 14 years, down from 30.6 percent at the same time last year, technology research group Gartner said ...

Nokia dismisses Microsoft takeover report

Jun 02, 2011

Nokia chief executive Stephen Elop on Wednesday dismissed as "baseless" a report that Microsoft had agreed to purchase the Finnish company's mobile business.

Microsoft lower on Nokia report

Jun 01, 2011

Microsoft shares were down nearly two percent on Wall Street on Wednesday amid an unconfirmed report that the US software giant had agreed to purchase Nokia's mobile business for $19 billion.

AT&T to bring out Nokia phone with Windows

Jan 10, 2012

Nokia has declared war in the US smartphone market, with a Microsoft-powered handset tailored to take on Apple iPhones and Google-backed Android devices.

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

19 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 1

Adjust slider to filter visible comments by rank

Display comments: newest first

Eikka
not rated yet Feb 27, 2012
41 megapixel


Surely not.

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.