Sony's Stringer 'to step down' as president

Jan 07, 2012
Howard Stringer, the Welsh-born American head of Japanese games, music and electronics giant Sony, in Berlin in August 2011. He is to step down as the firm's president, reports said Saturday, while remaining CEO and chairman.

Howard Stringer, the Welsh-born American head of Japanese games, music and electronics giant Sony, is to step down as the firm's president, reports said Saturday, while remaining CEO and chairman.

The move puts his reported successor Kazuo Hirai, a games and music veteran who is currently executive deputy president, in pole position to ultimately take over at the top of the company.

Sony is planning a drastic restructuring under Hirai to try to return to profit, the economic daily said, pointing out the group is braced to report its fourth consecutive annual loss for the year ending in March.

Sony has been mired in the red with its losing money. It has been hit by a strong yen, on its PlayStation Network, and both Japan's earthquake-tsunami disaster and floods in Thailand last year.

Stringer became chairman and chief executive in 2005 as the first foreign chief at Sony, and added the presidency to his roles in 2009.

The 69-year-old has dismissed speculation that he will be stepping down at the end of the company's fiscal year.

Jiji Press news agency said he had decided to shed the post of president because of the unusual concentration of power in him holding the company's top three positions.

Hirai, 51, has spent most of his career at Sony in videogames, movies, music and other software businesses, playing a major role in developing the PlayStation in the 1990s.

He was promoted to deputy president in April last year in a move seen by analysts as signalling a greater focus on pushing content to multiple such as , smartphones and .

Stringer said last year that Hirai was an "obvious candidate" to succeed him as Sony's leader.

The company would not confirm the reports on Saturday, saying in a statement that "nothing has been determined at this time".

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Sony chief to fight on after 'annus horribilis'

Nov 10, 2011

Sony chief executive Howard Stringer said Thursday that he has no plans to step down and was "up for the fight" of turning the Japanese electronics giant around after a year of setbacks.

Sony names Andrew House as head of games unit

Jun 29, 2011

(AP) -- Still reeling from a series of high-profile hacker attacks, Sony has named Andrew House as the president and group CEO of its video game unit, Sony Computer Entertainment.

Sony's Stringer 'sorry' over data breach

Jun 28, 2011

Sony chairman and president Howard Stringer on Tuesday apologised to shareholders and customers over a massive data leak, which helped push its its share price to a two-year low this month.

Sony apologises for breach, boosts security

May 01, 2011

Sony on Sunday apologised for a security breach that compromised millions of users, and said it could not rule out the possibility that credit card information was stolen.

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

8 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

13 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

14 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.