Nokia Siemens Networks in Finland, Germany lay-off talks

Jan 31, 2012
A woman passes by a logo of Nokia Siemens Networks, at NSN headquarters in Espoo in 2011. Finnish-German telecom equipment maker Nokia Siemens Networks (NSN) said Tuesday a previously announced restructuring plan would entail 2,900 job cuts in Germany and 1,200 in Finland.

Finnish-German telecom equipment maker Nokia Siemens Networks (NSN) said Tuesday a previously announced restructuring plan would entail 2,900 job cuts in Germany and 1,200 in Finland.

The company said it had begun talks with local representatives aimed at reducing the number of employees in eight , as part of its November 23 announcement that it was slashing 17,000 jobs.

"The discussions concern 1,200 out of 6,900 employees in Finland and 2,900 out of 9,100 in Germany," a company spokesman told AFP, confirming that employee representatives had been informed of the proposed cuts on Tuesday.

NSN worker representatives were also due to receive official information of the staff restructuring in Belgium, Denmark, the Netherlands, Poland, Spain and Britain, the spokesman added.

In November, NSN, which had 74,000 employees worldwide, announced plans to reduce its global workforce by approximately 17,000 by the end of 2013, adding that its plan was aimed at cutting annual costs by one billion euros ($1.3 billion) compared to 2011 outlays.

"These planned reductions are regrettable but necessary -- and it is our goal to make them in a fair and responsible way, providing the support we can to employees and communities," NSN chief executive Rajeev Suri said in a company statement when the cuts were first announced in November.

In Finland, NSN said in a statement that official negotiations were scheduled to begin on February 8, and that employee , job re-assignment and entrepreneurship support programmes would be introduced to help cushion the blow of the planned retrenchments.

Explore further: Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Nokia Siemens to lay off 17,000 worldwide

Nov 23, 2011

(AP) -- Nokia Siemens Networks is slashing 17,000 jobs worldwide by 2013 - nearly 23 percent of its work force - as it strives to cut costs by euro1 billion ($1.35 billion).

Nokia says to cut 4,000 jobs, outsource 3,000

Apr 27, 2011

The world's leading mobile phone maker Nokia said on Wednesday it will cut 4,000 jobs worldwide by the end of 2012 and transfer a further 3,000 employees to consulting firm Accenture.

Huawei sues Motorola over IP transfer to NSN

Jan 24, 2011

China's Huawei Technologies Co. sued Motorola on Monday to prevent confidential Huawei intellectual property information from being allegedly transferred to Nokia Siemens Networks.

Motorola Solutions, Huawei settle IP dispute

Apr 13, 2011

Motorola Solutions and China's Huawei Technologies have settled their legal dispute, the companies said Wednesday, paving the way for Motorola to complete a deal with Nokia Siemens Networks.

Nokia Siemens delays Motorola purchase

Mar 09, 2011

Finnish-German giant Nokia Siemens Networks (NSN) said Wednesday its purchase of Motorola's wireless network infrastructure assets would be delayed again, with no timeline specified for completion of the deal.

Recommended for you

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

3 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

4 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

17 hours ago

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.