Freescale to keep Sendai plant closed

Apr 06, 2011

Freescale Semiconductor has decided against reopening its plant in Sendai after the massive earthquake and tsunami in northeastern Japan left it severely damaged.

The plant, which has 600 employees, had been due to be shuttered in December.

"The ongoing safety concerns, damage to infrastructure and other basic services in the region, compounded by numerous major aftershocks, prohibit Freescale from returning the facility to an operational level required for wafer fab production in a reasonable timeframe," the company said in a statement Tuesday.

It had immediately ceased operations after the earthquake struck off the coast of Sendai, and evacuated its employees.

Rich Beyer, Freescale's chairman and CEO, said the company would compensate its Sendai employees by continuing their salaries "for an extended period of time," along with a "comprehensive" severance package.

The Sendai facility produced microcontrollers, analog ICs () and sensors products.

Built in 1987, it was originally conceived as a joint venture of Toshiba and . Motorola's Semiconductor Products Sector, now Freescale, purchased the plant in 1999.

Explore further: 2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Samsung Opens Largest Wafer Plant In Austin, Texas

Jun 15, 2007

Samsung Electronics announced the opening of the largest 300mm NAND flash memory wafer plant in Austin, Texas on Thursday, in ceremonies that included Texas Governor Rick Perry and Samsung Electronics Vice ...

Recommended for you

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

1 hour ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

3 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

16 hours ago

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

23 hours ago

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.