Toshiba to take over LCD joint venture with Panasonic

April 1, 2009
The Toshiba building in central Tokyo. Japan's Toshiba Corp. said Wednesday it will buy out its liquid crystal display (LCD) joint venture with Panasonic Corp. for about 20 million dollars in a bid to overhaul the struggling business.

Japan's Toshiba Corp. said Wednesday it will buy out its liquid crystal display (LCD) joint venture with Panasonic Corp. for about 20 million dollars in a bid to overhaul the struggling business.

Toshiba, which has a 60 percent stake in Matsushita Co (TMD), will buy the remaining 40 percent from Panasonic for two billion yen (20.41 million dollars), spokeswoman Hiroko Mochida told AFP.

The business, set up in 2002 to produce small- and medium-sized LCDs for mobile phones, portable computers and car navigation displays, is the number two producer in that market after Epson.

The new company will become a wholly-owned subsidiary from April 28 and will be renamed "Toshiba Mobile Display Co," the company said.

"This is a result of changes in market competition and as the deterioration in business conditions has accelerated," said Mochida.

The venture is expected to post an operating loss of 30 billion yen on revenue of 270 billion yen for fiscal year 2008.

Toshiba aims to overhaul the loss-making business by shifting focus to polycrystalline silicon panels that provide better quality images for high-end products, the company official said.

(c) 2009 AFP

Explore further: TOSHIBA DEBUTS FIRST FULL-COLOR 'SYSTEM ON GLASS' (SOG) INPUT DISPLAY WITH IMAGE CAPTURE TECHNOLOGY

Related Stories

Hitachi, Toshiba and Matsushita Join for TV LCD Panels

August 31, 2004

Hitachi, Ltd., ("Hitachi"), Toshiba Corporation ("Toshiba") and Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd., ("Matsushita") today reached a basic agreement to jointly establish a company (the "JV") to manufacture and sell LCD ...

Sony to establish ST Mobile Display Corporation

March 31, 2005

Second Manufacturing Base for Low-Temperature Polysilicon TFT LCD Panels for Mobile Products Sony Corporation today announced the establishment of "ST Mobile Display Corporation". This follows Sony's purchase of the LCD ...

Toshiba, Sharp mull 'solar power tie-up'

March 27, 2009

Japanese consumer electronics giants Toshiba and Sharp are in talks on a possible tie-up in the solar power generation field, the companies said Friday.

Recommended for you

Apple patent looks at fuel cell system for portable device

September 4, 2015

A fuel cell battery to last weeks, not days, is the subject of a patent filed by Apple. According to news reports, the patent is about an energy cell powering a portable electronic device. The Telegraph said this was likely ...

How to curb emissions? Put a price on carbon

September 3, 2015

Literally putting a price on carbon pollution and other greenhouse gasses is the best approach for nurturing the rapid growth of renewable energy and reducing emissions.

Magnetic fields provide a new way to communicate wirelessly

September 1, 2015

Electrical engineers at the University of California, San Diego demonstrated a new wireless communication technique that works by sending magnetic signals through the human body. The new technology could offer a lower power ...

0 comments

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.