Number of US fish stocks at sustainable levels remains near record high

Number of US fish stocks at sustainable levels remains near record high
Of 321 stocks with known status, 293 (91%) are not subject to overfishing. Of 244 stocks with known status, 201 (or 82%) are not overfished, leaving 43 stocks (18%) listed as overfished. (NOAA) Credit: NOAA

Today, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) released the Status of U.S. Fisheries Annual Report to Congress, which details the status of 479 federally-managed stocks or stock complexes in the U.S. to identify which stocks are subject to overfishing, are overfished, or are rebuilt to sustainable levels.

Building upon the trend of the past few years, the report notes that the vast majority of U.S. fish stocks were at sustainable population levels in 2018, and the number of U.S. fish stocks subject to overfishing remains at a near all-time low. The report also documents a newly-rebuilt stock, smooth skate in the Gulf of Maine. This brings the total number of rebuilt U.S. marine fish stocks to 45 since the year 2000, an encouraging indicator that the U.S. fishery management system is achieving its long-term sustainability goals.

"The U.S. is an international leader in , and through our work in partnership with the regional councils, we're on track to maintain that high standard," said Rear Admiral Timothy Gallaudet, Ph.D., NOAA's Assistant Secretary of Commerce for Oceans and Atmosphere. "Our fishing communities continue to succeed and contribute to the Blue Economy. In 2016 alone, U.S. , , and the seafood industry generated $212 billion in sales, contributed $100 billion to the , and supported 1.7 million full- and part-time jobs."

A stock is on the overfishing list when the harvest rate of that species is too high. Of 321 stocks with known status, 293 (91%) are not subject to overfishing. The remaining 28 stocks (9%) are subject to overfishing. Seven stocks were removed from the overfishing list, and five were added in 2018. As required under the Magnuson-Stevens Act (the U.S. ocean fisheries law), NOAA Fisheries works with regional fishery management councils and other partners to implement measures to immediately end overfishing.

A stock is on the overfished list when the population size of a stock is too low, whether because of fishing or other causes, such as environmental changes. Of 244 stocks with known status, 201 (or 82%) are not overfished, leaving 43 stocks (18%) listed as overfished. No stocks were removed from the overfished list in 2018, but eight were added. Several of these stocks are impacted by factors outside the control of domestic fisheries management. For example, for three stocks of coho salmon in Washington state, warmer water, drought or contributed to less than ideal spawning conditions.

One has been declared rebuilt: Smooth skate in the Gulf of Maine, which had been in a rebuilding plan for nine years under strict management.

"Achieving sustainable fisheries requires sound science, innovative management, effective enforcement, meaningful partnerships, and robust public participation," said Chris Oliver, Assistant Administrator for NOAA Fisheries. "We are well positioned to meet the sustainability challenges of today and tomorrow thanks to the hard work of our fishermen, fishing communities, scientists and many other partners."


Explore further

US fishing generated more than $200 billion in sales in 2015; two stocks rebuilt in 2016

Provided by NOAA Headquarters
Citation: Number of US fish stocks at sustainable levels remains near record high (2019, August 2) retrieved 19 September 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2019-08-fish-stocks-sustainable-high.html
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
24 shares

Feedback to editors

User comments

Aug 02, 2019
I believe them like I believe the FAA when they tell me their planes are safe.

Aug 02, 2019
Give it a few years- the Trumpster Fire will fuck it up again. They'll be headed out to overfish some more.

Aug 02, 2019
Meanwhile in Alaska, record low salmon stock. Sure.

Aug 02, 2019
Meanwhile, in California, salmon situation critical because the Trumpster Fire wants to give all the water to the growers and none to the salmon.

Idiot. He should have tilapia stuffed up his ass until he barfs.

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more