HBO offered 'bounty' to hackers: report

August 11, 2017

HBO offered a reward of $250,000 in response to a data breach at the television group that produces "Game of Thrones," according to a report from a leaked memo.

The report by Variety on Thursday said HBO offered the payment as a "bug bounty," which is offered by companies to discover vulnerabilities in their computer networks.

The offer apparently failed to satisfy the attackers who have demanded a ransom of millions of dollars and are threatening to release more files from what is claimed to be a massive .

HBO, a unit of the media group Time Warner, did not respond to a query about the Variety report.

Earlier this week, a video circulating online authored by someone identified only as "Mr. Smith" said the hackers had videos, scripts, personnel files and other from the breach.

The hackers demanded "six month salary," which, according to the video, would be more than $6 million.

Last week the hacker group leaked one script of "Games of Thrones" and content from other HBO productions.

HBO has said it was working with and law enforcement in response to the attack.

Explore further: 'Game of Thrones' script leaked after HBO hack

Related Stories

'Game of Thrones' script leaked after HBO hack

July 31, 2017

HBO said Monday its network was victimized by a cyberattack, and media reports said the hack resulted in the leak of a script of the popular series "Games of Thrones" and content from other productions.

Hackers demand millions in ransom for stolen HBO data

August 8, 2017

A group of hackers posted a fresh cache of stolen HBO files online Monday, and demanded a multimillion-dollar ransom from the network to prevent the release of entire television series and other sensitive proprietary files.

Recommended for you

Google braces for huge EU fine over Android

July 18, 2018

Google prepared Wednesday to be hit with huge EU fine for freezing out rivals of its Android mobile phone system in a ruling that could spark new tensions between Brussels and Washington.

EU set to fine Google billions over Android: sources

July 17, 2018

The EU is set to fine US internet giant Google several billion euros this week for freezing out rivals of its Android mobile phone system, sources said, in a ruling that risks fresh tensions with Washington.

0 comments

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.