UK prosecutors mull charges for News Corp. over hacking

UK prosecutors mull charges for News Corp. over hacking
In this Tuesday, June 24, 2014 file photo, Rebekah Brooks, former News International chief executive, leaves the Central Criminal Court in London. The Financial Times have reported that former News of the World editor Rebekah Brooks, who quit News Corp. four years ago, would return to head Murdoch's British newspaper division. News Corp. said it was "having discussions" with Brooks but had no announcement to make. (AP Photo/Lefteris Pitarakis, file)

British prosecutors say they are considering corporate charges against Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. over phone hacking at the now-defunct News of the World tabloid.

The comes amid reports that former editor and Murdoch lieutenant Rebekah Brooks is poised to return to the company.

London's Metropolitan Police said Saturday it had submitted a file to the Crown Prosecution Service last month. Prosecutors confirmed they had "received a full file of evidence for consideration of corporate liability charges" relating to phone hacking.

A decision about whether to prosecute rests with Director of Public Prosecutions Alison Saunders.

Meanwhile, the Financial Times reported that former News of the World editor Brooks, who quit News Corp. when the hacking scandal broke four years ago, would return to head Murdoch's British newspaper division, which includes the Times, Sunday Times and The Sun newspapers.

News Corp. confirmed holding talks with 47-year-old Brooks but said it had no announcement.

Murdoch shut down the News of the World, Britain's top-selling newspaper, in July 2011 after the revelation that it had hacked into the phone of a 13-year-old murder victim.

Brooks, a close confidante of Murdoch and a friend of British Prime Minister David Cameron, was acquitted last year after an eight-month trial of charges relating to , bribery and hiding evidence from police.

Her former deputy Andy Coulson, who succeeded her as News of the World editor, was convicted of conspiring to hack phones and jailed. Several other former News of the World staff were also convicted of eavesdropping on the voicemails of celebrities, royals, politicians and crime victims.

News Corp. has spent more than $500 million in legal settlements with hacking victims and other -related costs.


Explore further

2 tabloid journalists charged with phone hacking

© 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Citation: UK prosecutors mull charges for News Corp. over hacking (2015, August 29) retrieved 20 September 2021 from https://phys.org/news/2015-08-uk-prosecutors-mull-news-corp.html
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
38 shares

Feedback to editors