Qualcomm says China launches antitrust probe

Dr. Paul E. Jacobs, chairman and CEO of Qualcomm, chip manufacturer for HP tablet and mobile phones, speaks during the WebOS eve
Dr. Paul E. Jacobs, chairman and CEO of Qualcomm, chip manufacturer for HP tablet and mobile phones, speaks during the WebOS event at Fort Mason's Herbst Pavilion on February 9, 2011 in San Francisco, California

US mobile chipmaker Qualcomm said Monday it has been notified it is the subject of an antitrust investigation by Chinese authorities.

The company, a dominant maker of chips for smartphones, said in a statement that the "substance of the investigation" under the Chinese Anti-Monopoly Law is "confidential."

"The company is not aware of any charge by the NDRC (China's National Development and Reform Commission) that Qualcomm has violated the AML (Anti-Monopoly Law)," a Qualcomm statement said.

"We will continue to cooperate with the NDRC as it conducts its confidential investigation.

Qualcomm shares fell 2.5 percent to $71.10 after the news.

The US firm brought in over $1 billion in revenues from China in the past quarter.

Chief executive Paul Jacobs told the Wall Street Journal last week the company had been facing increasing pressure due to revelations of surveillance programs conducted by the US National Security Agency.

© 2013 AFP

Citation: Qualcomm says China launches antitrust probe (2013, November 25) retrieved 2 February 2023 from https://phys.org/news/2013-11-qualcomm-china-antitrust-probe.html
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.

Explore further

Qualcomm may repurchase up to $5 billion shares

0 shares

Feedback to editors